Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 13, 2012, 02:26 PM
MVP

Default Coolit Eco II 120, not mounting tight enough.

I have a Coolit ECO II 120 I received as a replacement for my Eco I and I recently took it off my system cause I didnt think it was performing well. I recently popped it back in to compared it with EVGA Superclock air cooler that I've been using for the last few months. I am now finding that its not mounting tight enough and thus the poor performance. I mounted it as tight as I could by hand and with a screw driver yet the thermal paste barely seems to spread. I would have to guess its like half a mm too short of mounting right. It makes contact with the cpu but just barely. Using MSI X58M motherboard. ECO II 120 is basically a Corsair H60.

Is it normal that it would sit a little bit high? Load temps are in the high 70's with hyperthreading disabled on my i7 960 @ 4.0ghz. It was low 60s on my EVGA superclock. Using the same fans in a push pull on either setup.
Old December 13, 2012, 02:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Are you hitting anything around the CPU socket? If the paste isn't spreading that's my first guess.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old December 13, 2012, 03:35 PM
MVP

Doesn't appear so, it just seems like if the screws had one extra thread or so everything would be fine. Nothing on the pump/mounting hardware is outside that white line of reserved space for heatsinks on my mobo. Doesn't look like its hitting anything as far as I can tell.
Old April 15, 2013, 11:02 AM
MVP

Received some new hardware from them a few months ago and only got around to installing it over the weekend. There must of been an issue with some of the old hardware as everything is mounting nice and tight now. Temps are great too. Its about -5c lower than my EVGA superclock cooler so all in all I am very happy.