Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Corsair H100 Questions (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/58283-corsair-h100-questions.html)

Charmster December 4, 2012 09:06 AM

Corsair H100 Questions

Hello Everyone,

My fan on my cooler seems to be having problems, so I think its time for an upgrade. I noticed that Memory Express currently has a deal on the Corsair H100.

I was wondering if anyone has used it themselves and what you thought about it?

Regards,
Charmster

b1lk1 December 4, 2012 09:51 AM

Not enough of an upgrade if you are relatively happy with your current cooler. I have the H100 on a Q9450 and it is about as effective as air cooling for me, just silent. My CPU idles around 42C and loads up to 55C, and that's not even overclocked or overvolted yet.

I'd buy a new fan or if you want water make the plunge and find a used custom kit somewhere.

great_big_abyss December 4, 2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b1lk1 (Post 675364)
Not enough of an upgrade if you are relatively happy with your current cooler. I have the H100 on a Q9450 and it is about as effective as air cooling for me, just silent. My CPU idles around 42C and loads up to 55C, and that's not even overclocked or overvolted yet.

I'd buy a new fan or if you want water make the plunge and find a used custom kit somewhere.

H100 performance should increase the more load is put on it. Therefore, the higher the overclock applied, the more effective the H100 will be over air cooling. Plus, there's the added benefit of exhausting all that hot air directly outside of your case. Seems like a 'win' to me.

If you have the money, need a replacement, and you're overclocking your CPU, then I'd say it's worth it.

rfglass December 4, 2012 07:33 PM

I have H100 with cougar fans in a push pull and love it , what about the new H100i
Hydro Series

BlueByte December 4, 2012 07:56 PM

I have an H100, it about the same stock as the Noctua NH-D14 with out eating up all the space and a direct exhaust out of the case. Just be warned, if you don't have room for a 240 rad you will be grumbling where to put the damn thing. Its worth it if it will fit for you.

Generic User #2 December 4, 2012 11:58 PM

well, if a NH-D14 doesn't fit, you pretty much only need to get low profile RAM, if the h100 doesn't fit, you need to get a whole new freaking case (and rebuild obviously). I'd say the NH-D14 is way more compatible overall.

chrisk December 6, 2012 08:18 PM

Thinking of taking a break from water cooling for a bit and replacing it with the H100i. I have no doubts that the custom loop is better, but what kind of temps are people having on i7 920/970 setups at or near 4.0ghz?

o320 December 8, 2012 12:48 AM

The only real difference is noise. You could get any high-end air cooler to perform as well as the H100 in a push-pull config, except that it would be screaming under load.
I'd recommend getting the H100. Memory Express has some excellent deals.