Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Does FrozenCPU charge a lot of custom fee? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/58078-does-frozencpu-charge-lot-custom-fee.html)

Frozenoblivion November 24, 2012 09:22 AM

Does FrozenCPU charge a lot of custom fee?

I've asked this question on overclock.net
I had mixed answers. Some people say that they've bought from Frozencpu and had no fees. Others said that I should be careful.
So I went to a Canadian computer forum page =3.
Has anyone purchased a lot from Frozencpu and not had fees?
Dazmode doesn't have what I want.

stoanee November 24, 2012 09:32 AM

Depends a lot on who they ship with. UPS is about the worst, they charge lots in brokerage fees etc. I believe USPS is reasonable, but slower.

dandelioneater November 24, 2012 09:34 AM

If your package ships with USPS you will probably be ok, but if they ship with UPS, you will be charged a pretty hefty import duty. UPS is by far the worst.

Pabz0r545 November 24, 2012 09:49 AM

I have ordered from FrozenCPU 4 times. I used USPS every time and ended up always with around 30 dollar custom fees on top of the regular shipping cost. Wait time always 2-3 weeks. I have never had an order from them without custom fees.

On top of that 2 of my 4 orders were missing screws from items I purchased. Ultimately they were replaced for free but with WAY TOO MANY questions asked. I only order from them when they have something I can't get elsewhere.

Try Aquatuning.us and see if they have what you want. 4 days from Germany to Western Canada and a small custom fee is included in the shipping cost.

Frozenoblivion November 24, 2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoanee (Post 673095)
Depends a lot on who they ship with. UPS is about the worst, they charge lots in brokerage fees etc. I believe USPS is reasonable, but slower.

Oh that sounds okay.
I've dealt with UPS before. A 730$ package, 300$ customs fee. For 1030$ I could have bought a better laptop!

Frozenoblivion November 24, 2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 (Post 673103)
I have ordered from FrozenCPU 4 times. I used USPS every time and ended up always with around 30 dollar custom fees on top of the regular shipping cost. Wait time always 2-3 weeks. I have never had an order from them without custom fees.

On top of that 2 of my 4 orders were missing screws from items I purchased. Ultimately they were replaced for free but with WAY TOO MANY questions asked. I only order from them when they have something I can't get elsewhere.

Try Aquatuning.us and see if they have what you want. 4 days from Germany to Western Canada and a small custom fee is included in the shipping cost.

So you don't like FrozenCPU?

Pabz0r545 November 24, 2012 10:16 AM

Not really. Like I said I will only order from them when they have something I cannot get elsewhere. I will still use them but only for that. But that being said next time I will try PPC's as their stock is usually similar.

Aquatuning.us is a much better option. Shipping is cheaper and quicker.

lowfat November 24, 2012 10:41 AM

If Aquatuning has what you want in stock, I would definitely suggest them over any other USA store. As has been said, the shipping time is significantly shorter yet similar priced. There will also be no hidden fees as you pay the taxes and fees at the time of purchase.

If they don't have what you want, then yes there is always a chance you'll pay taxes and brokerage when buying from FCPU. UPS will charge a minimum of ~$20 on anything over $20. With chances of being WAY higher. I've had to pay up to $66 on a $300 order when I've accidently selected UPS in the past. USPS you may still have to pay taxes but it seems random when I actually have to pay.

jibz November 24, 2012 11:26 AM

I find it's hit and miss. I've gotten hit with a $40 duty free once and no duty fee other times. As always USPS as UPS will slap an extra $20 brokerage charge ontop of your 100% garenteed duty.

Galcobar November 24, 2012 11:36 AM

Keep in mind there's the the tariff/duty and taxes charged at the border, which are collected by the government and which everybody has to pay, and then there are brokerage fees charged by the courier company for the courtesy of taking your package across the border.

Shipping by USPS generally results in nothing but a $5 charge, which is actually paid to Canada Post to complete the delivery. UPS loves to charge ridiculous brokerage fees. The other courier companies tend to fall between the two extremes.

Some retailers will label a package with a lower declared value to help reduce or avoid the duty and taxes owed, but then you run the risk of having it damaged in shipping without adequate coverage (the courier is, once their lawyers get involved, liable at best for the lesser of the actual value or the declared value).