Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 23, 2012, 03:16 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Question Push/Pull fan design/setup question

I'm debating on getting new fans for my rig. I'm looking at Corsair SP120's. Part of my loop has an XPSC RX120 that has push/pull fans already. It's a super thick and very airflow restricting rad. My question is.... if I replaced them would it not make more sense to use a fan such as the AF120 for pulling air through this rad? SP120's are designed for creating high static pressure to push air through highly restrictive coolers, but can they suck just well? According to specs an AF120 moves just as much air at 2/3 the rpm as an SP120, so I think it would suck harder. Both would be controlled by my Crosshair V and therefore running at the same rpm.

Thoughts?
Old November 29, 2012, 12:09 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Since pulling, or sucking, the air through the radiator is just a restrictive, SP fans are still the way to go. AF fans are designed for minimal restriction airflow, which makes them good for any place where you are just moving air. If you are moving through a radiator or cooler, SP fans are your best bet.
Old November 29, 2012, 06:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by concinnity View Post
Since pulling, or sucking, the air through the radiator is just a restrictive, SP fans are still the way to go. AF fans are designed for minimal restriction airflow, which makes them good for any place where you are just moving air. If you are moving through a radiator or cooler, SP fans are your best bet.
Makes sense. I think I'll go with that when I get around to ordering them.

I love your forum name BTW!

Edit: I found out that the RX120 isn't very much more restrictive compared to regular high performance rads due to it fin design. I just assumed it was because of it's thickness.