Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 22, 2012, 02:33 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Switching serial loop to parallel

Figured I'd ask before I did something stupid or well more stupid. The plan is to connect the gpu and cpu in a parallel loop. That is the input and output goes to the gpu and then goes to the cpu. Will there be any issues getting flow to the cpu if it goes to the gpu first? Or do it the other way around and go cpu then gpu?

This is how it's setup right now. I plan to reinstall the original vrm and chipset heatsinks as the Koolance blocks restrict the flow too much and do not seem to help much for overclocking. And maybe turn the case 90 degrees and do something clever with the case mod.
Old October 22, 2012, 03:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As far as changing from serial to parallel goes, you probably won't have better temps by doing it. The water will heat up and reach equilibrium so it won't make much difference for temperatures with just the one video card there. If you have good flow and temps are good, I'd just keep it as is.
(my 2cents)
Old October 22, 2012, 03:54 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Temps are good but the flow is the issue. The motherboard blocks restricted the flow so much a second pump was required. So if i'm removing those blocks I thought i'd might as well try a parallel setup. If it doesn't work then I can change it back to a serial loop.
Old October 22, 2012, 07:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

as you know that flow will travel the least resticted then doing a paralle loop

would need to check all block flows in to a bucket an calibrate them

also need manifolds

as other said its not worth the effort with cpu gpu loop
Old October 22, 2012, 09:17 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

It is still something I would consider. But from what little I could find on the flow rate of the gpu block and the cpu block, you might be right about the parallel setup.
Won't find out until the 3-way splitters and tubing arrive from Dazmode later this week.
Then again best way to find out if something doesn't work is try it anyways and record the results. Science!

Last edited by Mnemonicman; October 22, 2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old October 22, 2012, 09:59 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

As everyone is saying I think a series loop is a better option. The water will eventually reach equilibrium and the cooling rate is more dependent on the amount of dispersion of heat you can acquire (More Rads/Fans). Although here is another example of a parallel circuit.

It pretty much is a dual loop shared between the cpu and the gpu with a shared dual reservoir:

1) Waters pushed up into the big radiator
2) Out to the cpu
3) Into reservoir 2
4) Out and down to small radiator
5) Up and through GPU
6) Back and into reservoir 1

It becomes parallel inside the reservoir since the waters technically shared between reservoir 1 & 2.

A little to get your head wrapped around but it pretty much ensures that an equilibrium will be created between the CPU and GPU over time. It also happens to be my rig ;) But I like sharing ideas so here you go.
Old October 23, 2012, 06:32 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

If I bought the dual D5 pump top instead of the serial dual D5 pump top I would totally do that. Though what I might try to do is turn the case 90 degrees and dremel out a spot for a dvd drive. Alright looks like I might stick with the serial loop. I got two 120mm radiators I could find spots for. Might help a bit.
Old October 24, 2012, 12:41 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomie View Post
As everyone is saying I think a series loop is a better option. The water will eventually reach equilibrium and the cooling rate is more dependent on the amount of dispersion of heat you can acquire (More Rads/Fans). Although here is another example of a parallel circuit.

It pretty much is a dual loop shared between the cpu and the gpu with a shared dual reservoir:

1) Waters pushed up into the big radiator
2) Out to the cpu
3) Into reservoir 2
4) Out and down to small radiator
5) Up and through GPU
6) Back and into reservoir 1

It becomes parallel inside the reservoir since the waters technically shared between reservoir 1 & 2.

A little to get your head wrapped around but it pretty much ensures that an equilibrium will be created between the CPU and GPU over time. It also happens to be my rig ;) But I like sharing ideas so here you go.
Sounds interesting. Ok here's an idea i'd like to get your opinion on. How about the pump goes to the radiator, then splits to the cpu and gpu, and both go back to the reservoir. If there needs to be more cooling performance I do have two 120mm rads to put in somewhere. I do like that setup of yours. If you can post a pic of it. I do try to get any inspiration if I can.
Old October 24, 2012, 11:56 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemonicman View Post
Sounds interesting. Ok here's an idea i'd like to get your opinion on. How about the pump goes to the radiator, then splits to the cpu and gpu, and both go back to the reservoir. If there needs to be more cooling performance I do have two 120mm rads to put in somewhere. I do like that setup of yours. If you can post a pic of it. I do try to get any inspiration if I can.
You never want to split unless you have the exact same restriction on both branches IE: identical video card blocks. The majority of the flow will go down the least restrictive branch. You really want to stick to a serial or dual loop system. I avoid the word parallel here because technically yes that picture is a parallel system from the reservoir, but it is more like 2 individual serial loops with a shared res.

I run 2 individual loops with a koolance rp-452x2. I used to run 3x crossfire which is why I initially set it up this way. You can't see the return from the lower rad to the reservoir because it is behind the drive bays and you can't see the hookups to the top rad, but each loop is Res-Pump-Blocks-Rad-Res. One pump runs the CPU/Mobo loop (red) and one pump runs the GPU loop (blue).

Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old October 26, 2012, 07:44 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

It has begun. Wish me luck. And no I'm not doing the parallel loop. Going to mount the res at the top of the case as bubbles are more likely to go there. And to keep an eye on coolant levels and so on.

Update: Good news everyone! It did not catch fire and is not leaking. The loop is simpler and should be easier to drain should something untoward happen. It is a bit louder now that the chipset heatsink is back. Nothing a good set of headphones can't cure. Flow did not seem to improve much. There is an improvement. Mostly around the cpu block but aside from that not much has changed. So now it is setup as res > pump > 240mm rad > gpu > cpu > 360mm rad > res.

Here's a pic. Sorry if it's dark and blurry. Cell phone camera is a bit wonky after the new rom.

Last edited by Mnemonicman; October 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM.