Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 18, 2012, 04:56 AM
MVP

Default Watercooling 6870 with H60 and Dwood bracket

Originally I posted this thread to figure out how to ghetto rig a Coolit Eco 120 to my 6870 however I recently decided to switch things up a bit and take a slightly easier route. I ordered a custom made bracket from Dwood to mount my Eco II (h60 oem) to my 6870 instead. For $30 I get a custom made bracket, with a fan mount for a 92mm fan, its painted white and will have a 7.62 round cut into the bent lip on the side. Installation will be a breeze as its all precut to fit. The only thing I have to do is remove a few screws from the bottom of my h60, mount the new bracket to the h60, pop the h60/bracket on the card and go to town. I should be able to give my 6870 a nice kick in the pants oc wise and keep temps down for overnight folding and prolong the life of this workhorse of a card.

Last edited by igot6strings; September 21, 2012 at 04:10 AM.
Old September 18, 2012, 07:22 AM

My System Specs

You could try using zip ties to hold the block in place. That is how I use to ghetto rig CPU blocks back in the day. VRM sinks are a good idea. You can even get away w/ rather small ones as long as you have good airflow over them. I suggest trying to find some good thermal tape to use w/ the sinks. The stuff that usually comes w/ the sinks sucks. They tend to fall off easily. NCIX has 3M stuff . You can find at DC or BestDirect for $0.75, so definitely price match it.
Old September 18, 2012, 10:44 AM
MVP

Thanks lowfat and congrats on becoming an uberlord.

I'll probably try the zip tie method if I can't find a way to mount it a bit more securely.
I'm thinking ill have to cut off or remove the mounting screws on the cooler itself once I do find a way to mount it. Seems like they'd be in the way if nothing else. Good advice on the vram heatsinks. I wasn't aware that I'd probably need better adhesive. Good to know. I have ample air flow I would think. 2x120mm blowing right on the card, 2x120mm on top of my case for exhaust and another in front for intake as well as the 2 intake fans on my rad for my coolit eco II so the smaller ones might be ok. I'll probably grab a couple sets and go from there to see what I like.

I was in contact with Dwood on overclock.net, he makes custom mounts for all sorts of cards and coolers however not the coolit eco. He also does custom case badges and the like. He requested some measurements from me that I provided last week but I've yet to hear back. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he can rig up something for me.
Old September 21, 2012, 04:12 AM
MVP

changed things around a bit, im now intending to use a h60 with a dwood bracket on my 6870. op updated.

Anyone have any experience with dwoods stuff? Great work this guy does.
Old September 21, 2012, 06:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I believe Adzask uses a Dwood bracket. You can PM him. When did you receive yours? I ordered something from him about a month ago and still haven't received his package. I PM'd him twice with no response. :(
Old September 21, 2012, 07:02 AM
MVP

I havnt received it yet. I put in the order last night with him and got my total this morning. Still need to send off the paypal to him. I havnt heard many complaints. Odd that he hasn't got back to you as he got back to me rather quickly yesterday.
Old September 21, 2012, 05:52 PM
Top Prospect

I just found out about the Dwood brackets. Those are some seriously nice looking brackets. I should buy one for my next build.
Old September 22, 2012, 02:40 AM
MVP

Dwood does amazing work and its fairly cheap for a custom job. I mean $30 shipped to Canada for a custom mount, that allows 92mm fan, painted and customized with a personalized image. You can't get a better deal than that anywhere.
Old September 22, 2012, 05:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

True but if you take into account the cost of the bracket + shipping and the cost of a closed loop unit it's almost the same price as a real waterblock!
Old September 22, 2012, 12:10 PM
MVP

In my case it was $30 for the bracket shipped and $50 or so for the h60 shipped. So in my case $80 total. Thats a heck of a lot cheaper than doing it with a real waterblock. I got lucky though. I had trouble with my Coolit Eco 120 so they sent me a Coolit Eco II which is a corsair h60 oem but I got to keep the original ECO. I paid $29 for the original ECO which seems to be working fine despite the initial gurgling I experienced in the beginning. I will be using the h60 on my 6870 and either going with my original ECO on my cpu or switching back to air cooling with the EVGA Superclock cooler I just got from NCIX for $11. Its almost equal in performance to Noctuas C14 & D14.

A waterblock would require a whole water cooling system which would run atleast $200 if done right and even then it'd be on the cheap. For an older card like the 6870 and my cpu, an i7 960 its simply not worth spending hundreds to watercool at this point.