Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 15, 2012, 09:28 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Waterblock for my Gigabyte 7970 OC

A week ago I decided it would be a great time to upgrade my videocard. A shiny new Gigabyte 7970 OC was ordered. Given that my PC is water cooled a gpu block is a must. The EK-FC7970 in fact. Both parts were available from NCIX and arrived a few days later.

Now there is a problem. The block does not fit. Research was done beforehand and EK's very own site listed that card as compatible. NCIX will not take the waterblock back as per their policy. Also, they may not take the videocard back as I was asked by their support rep to send them a pic of the pcb to see if EK had anything else that would work. Am I up the creek without the canoe, is this a new reference design that no one yet has made a block for, or will I have to eat the cost and get a different 7970 if no block will work with this one?
Old September 16, 2012, 06:20 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

EK lists the compatibility as visual only using internet pictures......can never be sure.
Did you try removing your little heatsink on the right to check if thats what was interfering?
Old September 16, 2012, 06:55 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I did take the small heatsink off the first time around. This was the second disassembly and I got a bit lazy.
The VRMs are just a little bit off and a group of capacitors that near the back of the card also in the way.
Old September 16, 2012, 07:26 AM
Top Prospect

Honestly I would tweet to NCIX on twitter your issue. That what I have always done in the past and I think because its public you get a quicker/better response. Only suggesting this because I believe your not in the wrong, its not your fault that the product does not meet its specifications/details. To me NCIX is selling a false claimed product and you should be refunded as they should be taking it up with EK
Old September 16, 2012, 12:48 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

NCIX has done nothing wrong in this case TBH, the buyer bought the block, NCIX delivered it.
The main culprit would be EK for listing the parts as compatible, but then again, you probably took their visualy compatible word and didnt do your homework by comparing 2 hd images of the ref design and your card.
Old September 16, 2012, 04:12 PM
Top Prospect

Link to the block you bought via NCIX? If they are listing it as compatible on their site, it is their problem and you should be getting a refund.
Old September 16, 2012, 04:26 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

ek has a different picture for the card you have...

you have revision 2 of this pcb check out the writing on your pci-e slot.
Old September 17, 2012, 04:56 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Yep I did check out the marking on the PCB. And yes I did do my homework on the card and the block. However there is no pictures of the ver2.0 pcb that I could find that matched the pcb of my 7970.

This is the link to the EK waterblock on NCIX. Ek Water Blocks EK-FC7970 - EN Nickel Plated Full Cover Radeon HD 7970 GPU Block G1/4 - EK Water Blocks - 3831109856703
And the one on the EK site. EK-FC7970 - Nickel CSQ - Radeon HD 7xx0 Series - Full Cover for AMD Radeon - VGA Blocks - Blocks

Looks a bit different eh? And yes I know that by the terms on the NCIX site which I agreed to when I bought the parts they can't really help it if things don't work out. I'm just annoyed that things didn't work out. I was really excited to put in the new hardware and advance a custom case project a bit. It's not all bad though. Got a friend that might buy the card off me so I can find another 7970 with the reference PCB.

Not the most ideal series of events but there's been worse.
Old September 19, 2012, 08:50 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Alright an update. Got a HIS 7970 from a more local computer shoppe. This one fit the waterblock perfectly. However after installing it this morning I got crashing during games. The PC would lock up with either a solid colour or vertical lines of different colours. So far it only crashed while playing World of Tanks so maybe the card is voicing it's opinion of F2P games? But it is taking more time between crashes so perhaps it's a driver issue or the thermal paste is curing. And no it is not overheating. Realtemp showed the gpu at 34 degrees. I'll do more tests once I'm done at work. Plus side it did play WoT better than the 6970 it is replacing.
Old September 19, 2012, 10:19 AM
Top Prospect

Run GPUZ and check the GPU temp #2 and #3. If the block isn't seating correctly on the GPU die you can end up with a 'fine' gpu temp reading while other parts of the core are baking.