Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 31, 2012, 08:46 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Corsiar H60 Rad

Hey guys,

wasn't sure where to post this, as it pertains to both water cooling and air cooling in a way, but here it goes. I've got an H60 cooling my fx4100, currently not OC'd at all. (Will be changing that, I want a 4.1~.3 jigahertz max 24/7 OC). Currently installed as the cooling fans are a corsair sp120 performance as the push, with the default NZXT 120mm case fan (Source 220). I also have 2 Cougar Vortex HDB 120mm installed in the front as intakes, but they are extremely quiet and I like that. The rad isn't so quiet when under load, and I would like to change that. But I also don't want to sacrifice performance, at all. I suspect that part of the problem is simply turbulence from the two push/pull fans not being the same and conflicting with thier RPMs. So, bottom line, I have a few questions regarding things I could change in this setup.

1: Would purchasing another SP120 to replace the NZXT help reduce the noise, as they would both scale RPMS (nearly) the same with software fan control?

2: Are the Cougars' good enough for a rad on an OC'd CPU 24/7, or just better as intake/exhaust?

I'll be ordering another Cougar fan, a 140mm for top exhaust, and want to know if I should order another SP120 as well, or something, to replace the NZXT. I knew I wouldn't be using the NZXT's for very long, but before spending MORE money on fans, i want some input.

Thanks in advance.
Old August 31, 2012, 08:55 PM
MVP

My System Specs

matching the fans should help, mainly because of the differences between the blade designs of the 2 different fans you have right now
Old September 1, 2012, 07:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I think the cougar fans should perform just fine on the radiator but the fans on your h60 are going to make the noise they make regardless of where they are mounted. Personally I would pick up another SP120 if I were you.