Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 30, 2012, 06:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
One thing enab is forgetting is these are sealed units not open. They are designed to be used by people with zero experience. They are designed to be robust. They are designed to be MAINTENANCE FREE.

The amount of air that would have to be in closed loop design to burn out the impeller...would have to be a lot. AND you would here the mofo long before it burned out. IE when I hear an all in one wc'er making loud 'gurgling' noises...I rma it. Its got air in the lines and made it past QA dept. AND the amount of noise it would make before burning out due to that amount of air that enab is talking about...it would sound like a scalded cat.

Closed loop use neoprene to reduce evaporation. Closed loops are supposed to be properly filled and tested to ensure there is little to no air before hitting shelves (ie they are 'burped' at the factory). So the amount of air that will be in them is minor amount. Could I see them denying an RMA for a burned out pump from the wrong orientation....maybe. It would be a company I would not do business with ever again. But maybe. Should any company deny a LEAKING RAD over orientation. Hell no. Should a company claim that a leak was caused by DUST. Hell no. That is just bad data. If the tech on the line is asking for pictures (besides proof of ownership via close up of SN)...they are fishing for reasons to deny the RMA. Hang up. Get another tech on the line. If the 2nd tech asks the same...its company policy and you say "its been removed from the system. Why would I keep a defective unit in an operating system?". IE never give details that can be used against you.

If the unit was out of warranty and leaked...yeah the OP is screwed. Coolit should have been nicer about it and not claimed some of the BS they did. THAT to me is the real issue. This points to bad things on the RMA of things.

I emailed my contact and have no heard back from them. Sounds like CoolIT is going through rough times. Guess I will not be using them in the future (for awhile). Corsair branded only from now on.

YMMV
Like I said I'm not saying CoolIt is 100% is innocent in all this and unless we know their manufacturing process for sealing these units we have no idea how full or if there is any air in it but from the conversation I had yesterday there is.

Don't forget Corsair is partnered with CoolIt using their gear.
Old August 30, 2012, 06:08 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Like I said I'm not saying CoolIt is 100% is innocent in all this and unless we know their manufacturing process for sealing these units we have no idea how full or if there is any air in it but from the conversation I had yesterday there is.

Don't forget Corsair is partnered with CoolIt using their gear.
They are, but Corsair has their own team to 'tweak' and fix any issues as well as a damn good QC Dept.

I think with Coolit, something was lost in translation when they migrated away from Retail Units.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old August 30, 2012, 06:13 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Closed loops like this or a self built loop always has air its impossible to completely get it it. And even if you could evaporation will cause fluid loss but not in a large quantity and takes awhile for it to happen. Ever notice how when you buy something from a store that contains liquid most of the time it has a air pocket at the top? That is for expansion purposes and the same thing is again needed for water loops.

In regards to the impeller think of it this way. A fan has a lower and upper limit of which it can spin at. If the fan is spinning at its upper speed and then the fluid hits it what happens? Same thing if you were to stick your finger into a 3000rpm fan.. your gonna lose some skin and perhaps the fan blades will break but no matter the outcome its never good.

Swiftech MCP355 pumps would burn out if there was no liquid getting to them as they would overheat due to the design of the pump.
yeah I understand evaporation and expansion but these units would be hardly effected by this. evep would take a long time and it is water so it is not going from one extreme to the other so expansion would be minimal.

as for the pump that still does not explain how air getting in to the impeller would cause this
Quote:
I have a coolit ECO that just failed the drained coolant onto my motherboard, video card, etc.
Over spinning the impeller made some lager amount of pressure that grenaded the rad
Old August 30, 2012, 06:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

What I don't recall varr saying is what actually failed but is more likely the pump and not the radiator as radiators raely fail as the pump is the weak point.

Last edited by enaberif; August 30, 2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old August 30, 2012, 07:03 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I quoted in the post above what he said happened ,the coolit eco drained water onto the MOBO and GFX card so it sounds to me that it was a catastrophic rad failure . thats why I am confused, air and dust or even orientations should have little effect on if the rad can hold water .

Now I can see dust being a issue if he was using his PC in the sahara desert during a dust storm with winds of 100 MPH now that is going to cause a problem .
Old August 30, 2012, 07:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

Exactly what part failed in the loop? I will wager the pump.
Old August 30, 2012, 08:15 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm not familiar with these units , can a pump leak? I wasn't awere they could
Old August 30, 2012, 08:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodystumps View Post
I'm not familiar with these units , can a pump leak? I wasn't awere they could
Anything that is under pressure will always have a weak spot and can leak. In your car its generally the heater core or water pump to fail. In the case of watercooling its generally the pump to fail if too much pressure builds up. Go outside and turn your garden hose on and plug the end and you will see something from the pressure.

But yes these as well as standalone systems can have a pump leak. Remember the only thing making nothing leak is a rubber or nitrile o-ring and if the o-ring fails you are going to have a leak.

This is why while watercooling is generally a safe thing it's also a thing you take a chance that something can fail and take stuff with it and that is unfortunately your loss.

I am not out to say don't buy these units as they work well and server their purpose well but like anything precautions need to be taken when mixing liquid and electronics.
Old August 30, 2012, 10:59 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

It was the pump/waterblock. Here is a pic of the underside of the pump/block, you can see the green fluid on the mounting bolts and across the seem in the block:

Name:  ECOcloseup.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  175.7 KB
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770 (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Intel X25-M 160GB, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old August 30, 2012, 01:38 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Compare the number of one star reviews between the Asetek engineered units and Coolit ones on Amazon and Newegg- nuff said.