Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 29, 2012, 06:34 PM
Rookie

Just to clarify which way is the correct orientation for the radiator? Is it tubes up or tubes down? Is it the same for all closed loop systems?
Old August 29, 2012, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovert View Post
Just to clarify which way is the correct orientation for the radiator? Is it tubes up or tubes down? Is it the same for all closed loop systems?
Tubes down ALWAYS.
Old August 29, 2012, 07:15 PM
Rookie

That's funny. The h80 installation video from corsair has it tubes up.
Old August 29, 2012, 07:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I don't necessarily agree that the tubes must always be down in a closed loop. I'm looking at my bench setup and look at that... the inlets are at the top.... seems to be working fine and has done so for over a year.

The critical part is to have a constant feed to the pump from the res, and if you've got that going then the pump should be able to pump up to the inlets and then out the other end. I'd actually think that pumping up into the rad with the inlets at the highest point of the loop will keep the rad completely free of air once the loop is filled as you're pushing the air out with no way for it to creep back in.

edit: "from the rad"... changed to "from the res"

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 30, 2012, 03:00 AM
MVP

One thing is for sure the instructions that Coolit supplies are very minimalist. I thought it was just a quick reference guide and that I'd find a more detailed manual inside but it was just a double sided sheet with simple one line instructions for each step along with basic sketches and b/w pics. No where does it state any orientation for the rad.
Eco Installation Sheet
Old August 30, 2012, 03:53 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm a little confused as to how the rad being "upside down" is going to cause air to get trapped in a closed loop system , Isn't a closed loop unit void of a res ? there really should be no air in these units.

Now my other confusion is why did it leak and how did it leak ? further more how does air (air that shouldn't be there) over spinning the impeller cause the rad to leak ?

Any manufacture that wants to hold a good reputation will stand behind their product and even go above and beyond to keep a good name and for them to play this out like they have is just wrong .

if it were me I would contact a lawyer and get my rig fixed up right . Had it just been out of warranty that is fine I'd have no problem fixing it up my self but to drag you through the whole process then say "na you aint covered " and blame you for something that they neglected to tell you pff ya i'd being calling my lawyer
Old August 30, 2012, 05:05 AM
MVP

Some good questions there Stumpy.
It'd be nice to see someone answer those questions who has an understanding of the physics of the whole thing and can explain why it would be a bad idea to have it one way vs another.

Now, what would happen if it was put in sideways? Dare I ask? lol
Old August 30, 2012, 05:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodystumps View Post
I'm a little confused as to how the rad being "upside down" is going to cause air to get trapped in a closed loop system , Isn't a closed loop unit void of a res ? there really should be no air in these units.

Now my other confusion is why did it leak and how did it leak ? further more how does air (air that shouldn't be there) over spinning the impeller cause the rad to leak ?

Any manufacture that wants to hold a good reputation will stand behind their product and even go above and beyond to keep a good name and for them to play this out like they have is just wrong .

if it were me I would contact a lawyer and get my rig fixed up right . Had it just been out of warranty that is fine I'd have no problem fixing it up my self but to drag you through the whole process then say "na you aint covered " and blame you for something that they neglected to tell you pff ya i'd being calling my lawyer
Closed loops like this or a self built loop always has air its impossible to completely get it it. And even if you could evaporation will cause fluid loss but not in a large quantity and takes awhile for it to happen. Ever notice how when you buy something from a store that contains liquid most of the time it has a air pocket at the top? That is for expansion purposes and the same thing is again needed for water loops.

In regards to the impeller think of it this way. A fan has a lower and upper limit of which it can spin at. If the fan is spinning at its upper speed and then the fluid hits it what happens? Same thing if you were to stick your finger into a 3000rpm fan.. your gonna lose some skin and perhaps the fan blades will break but no matter the outcome its never good.

Swiftech MCP355 pumps would burn out if there was no liquid getting to them as they would overheat due to the design of the pump.
Old August 30, 2012, 05:37 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Anybody want a used ECO for cheap? :)

I am more pissed about them giving me bad advice in their support forums then I am about being denied any sort of RMA. They told me it was fine to install upside down and then when it failed it was my fault for installing it upside down (according to them at least). As a result, I won't be recommending their products anymore. I won't stand behind a company that gives bad advice and then hides when their advice comes back to bite them.
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old August 30, 2012, 05:52 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

One thing enab is forgetting is these are sealed units not open. They are designed to be used by people with zero experience. They are designed to be robust. They are designed to be MAINTENANCE FREE.

The amount of air that would have to be in closed loop design to burn out the impeller...would have to be a lot. AND you would here the mofo long before it burned out. IE when I hear an all in one wc'er making loud 'gurgling' noises...I rma it. Its got air in the lines and made it past QA dept. AND the amount of noise it would make before burning out due to that amount of air that enab is talking about...it would sound like a scalded cat.

Closed loop use neoprene to reduce evaporation. Closed loops are supposed to be properly filled and tested to ensure there is little to no air before hitting shelves (ie they are 'burped' at the factory). So the amount of air that will be in them is minor amount. Could I see them denying an RMA for a burned out pump from the wrong orientation....maybe. It would be a company I would not do business with ever again. But maybe. Should any company deny a LEAKING RAD over orientation. Hell no. Should a company claim that a leak was caused by DUST. Hell no. That is just bad data. If the tech on the line is asking for pictures (besides proof of ownership via close up of SN)...they are fishing for reasons to deny the RMA. Hang up. Get another tech on the line. If the 2nd tech asks the same...its company policy and you say "its been removed from the system. Why would I keep a defective unit in an operating system?". IE never give details that can be used against you.

If the unit was out of warranty and leaked...yeah the OP is screwed. Coolit should have been nicer about it and not claimed some of the BS they did. THAT to me is the real issue. This points to bad things on the RMA of things.

I emailed my contact and have no heard back from them. Sounds like CoolIT is going through rough times. Guess I will not be using them in the future (for awhile). Corsair branded only from now on.

YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr