Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old August 29, 2012, 08:33 AM
WhippWhapp's Avatar
Top Prospect
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 193

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Ehhh, not agreeing with you there mate. Sure this is one really bad incident but from what I've seen people have had way better experience with Coolit than Astek OEM units...

But if I hear more crap like this I may change that tone.

-ST
Intel has a pretty stringent validation process that Asetek passed, good enough for me.
__________________
I rub and whack and choke and stroke!

Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old August 29, 2012, 08:53 AM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,068

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippWhapp View Post
Intel has a pretty stringent validation process that Asetek passed, good enough for me.
Which is fine.
What is interesting is corsair dropped them as the OEM to partner with Coolit.
And coolit was already in the OEM (Dell I think) pretty heavily entrenched, and Dells QC/Validation process is nothing to scoff at either. (Going by memory, I think it was there XPS units and some Dual Proc Servers)

They are both solid units. Bad stuff does happen though to anything made by humans :)

But not to the point where like you said, everything = shit.

-ST

**Edit - My understanding as well is that if a Corsair Unit Leaks (new ones) and takes out something, they replace that something as well - Which should show a lot more confidence in there units than others**
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com

Last edited by Soultribunal; August 29, 2012 at 08:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old August 29, 2012, 11:36 AM
Varroa's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: National Capital Region, Canada
Posts: 747

My System Specs

Default

Thanks for all the support guys. I wan't to make it clear that I was turned down for RMA and not warranty replacement (the unit was out of warranty which they only told me after making me jump through a bunch of hoops and taking a bunch of pictures). Although they are giving me the run around they said that they were going to give me a discount on a new unit if it wasn't for the upside down installation. If I fight it they will just say it is out of warranty and not their problem. I just wanted to warn people that their RMAs would be declined if they mount it upside down and about how bad their customer service it. Thanks again.
__________________
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED

Last edited by Varroa; August 29, 2012 at 12:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old August 29, 2012, 12:25 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,679
Default

I will update this after I make a visit and see what happens.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old August 29, 2012, 04:27 PM
Soullessone21's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 1,319

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I will update this after I make a visit and see what happens.

Kickass take names? don't leave us in suspense??
__________________
Good Bye HWC it was great :)
Site and Forum:
http://forums.realhardwarereviews.com/index.php

If you need me the link above is where I spend my days now
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old August 29, 2012, 04:50 PM
supaflyx3's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack BC
Posts: 2,557

My System Specs

Default

Out of warranty or not, they should replace everything that was damaged in a catastrophic failure like that.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old August 29, 2012, 05:26 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,679
Default

First I want to say I neither take sides with Var or Cool It and I'll explain why.

First off I've gone through the build your own water loop to installing closed loop systems. One of the things I've always figured from the get go was to never install the radiator upside down due to air getting trapped in the top and possibly causing issues same as never have your reservoir below the radiator which also can cause issues. So because of this I will say that Var was at fault for a improper install except that they did not know any better and just installed as they should.

Now Cool It is not innocent either as when I spoke with them I was informed by them that they don't say which way to install the radiator but if they see pictures or something they will inform the person it was done wrong and that in the install instructions that it doesn't mention which way it should go as people should adhere to the pictures and "assume" the correct install method.

But you see this isn't only Cool It issue either as if you go look at the install procedure for Corsair products it doesn't say which is a good or bad way to install the product so really its not Cool It' fault either but generally anyone who makes, manufacturers or distributes these types of products.

So who is really to blame? One side is the user for putting it upside down and the other is the manufacturer for not giving proper instructions on how to install products.

Oh and the general reasoning told by me by CoolIt was that the reason the hardware can fail by putting the radiator upside down is because essentially what happens is the side without the little nub on it is the drain side so when its upside down and you turn your system off the liquid will drain out and cause a big air bubble so that when you turn your system on this large bubble is fed first into the pump causing it to overspin and causing possible failure.

Take from this what you want.
So if a unit is out of warranty and it fails due to negligence on a manufacturer or user error who is to blame and who if anyone should provide something back to the customer?
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old August 29, 2012, 05:37 PM
Soullessone21's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 1,319

My System Specs

Default

Well said. very very well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
First I want to say I neither take sides with Var or Cool It and I'll explain why.

First off I've gone through the build your own water loop to installing closed loop systems. One of the things I've always figured from the get go was to never install the radiator upside down due to air getting trapped in the top and possibly causing issues same as never have your reservoir below the radiator which also can cause issues. So because of this I will say that Var was at fault for a improper install except that they did not know any better and just installed as they should.

Now Cool It is not innocent either as when I spoke with them I was informed by them that they don't say which way to install the radiator but if they see pictures or something they will inform the person it was done wrong and that in the install instructions that it doesn't mention which way it should go as people should adhere to the pictures and "assume" the correct install method.

But you see this isn't only Cool It issue either as if you go look at the install procedure for Corsair products it doesn't say which is a good or bad way to install the product so really its not Cool It' fault either but generally anyone who makes, manufacturers or distributes these types of products.

So who is really to blame? One side is the user for putting it upside down and the other is the manufacturer for not giving proper instructions on how to install products.

Oh and the general reasoning told by me by CoolIt was that the reason the hardware can fail by putting the radiator upside down is because essentially what happens is the side without the little nub on it is the drain side so when its upside down and you turn your system off the liquid will drain out and cause a big air bubble so that when you turn your system on this large bubble is fed first into the pump causing it to overspin and causing possible failure.

Take from this what you want.
So if a unit is out of warranty and it fails due to negligence on a manufacturer or user error who is to blame and who if anyone should provide something back to the customer?
__________________
Good Bye HWC it was great :)
Site and Forum:
http://forums.realhardwarereviews.com/index.php

If you need me the link above is where I spend my days now
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old August 29, 2012, 06:12 PM
stoanee's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lacombe Alberta
Posts: 3,258

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
essentially what happens is the side without the little nub on it is the drain side so when its upside down and you turn your system off the liquid will drain out and cause a big air bubble so that when you turn your system on this large bubble is fed first into the pump causing it to overspin and causing possible failure.
Cool it is totally grasping at straws here. If the failure is caused by the upside down mounting of the rad, AND they knew about it, the instructions should be very clear not to mount any other way except up. A flaw has been exposed in their equipment and they need to man up & make it right. Replace failed units due to improper mounting and include explicit instructions. Once that is done THEN you can deny RMA. I can't understand manufacturers that do not realize customer service and satisfaction i s part of their product offering.
__________________
heatware
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old August 29, 2012, 06:19 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
Cool it is totally grasping at straws here. If the failure is caused by the upside down mounting of the rad, AND they knew about it, the instructions should be very clear not to mount any other way except up. A flaw has been exposed in their equipment and they need to man up & make it right. Replace failed units due to improper mounting and include explicit instructions. Once that is done THEN you can deny RMA. I can't understand manufacturers that do not realize customer service and satisfaction i s part of their product offering.
Except that if the unit is out of warranty then who is to blame? I'm not saying these guys are innocent by any means but you have to remember two things.. 1) CoolIt is out of the retail side of things due to the partnership with Corsair and 2) The unit was out of warranty.

If ANYTHING is out of warranty whether their is a flaw or a problem with it a manufacturer does NOT have to own up to anything hence the warranty. It simply boils down to a manufacturer doing a good deed to fix or replace something but even this can cause issues with manufacturers being to nice.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ECS - Poor Customer Service hanyoukimura Member Reviews 4 January 14, 2013 07:27 PM
Coolit Eco ALC 120 RMA, Coolit Customer Service = Awesome igot6strings Water Cooling 16 September 10, 2012 01:56 PM
Kobo customer service PerryC Off Topic 2 March 15, 2012 04:20 PM
XFX Customer Service? Mumbly Video Cards 7 September 6, 2011 12:25 PM
Zalman Customer Service amorak Video Cards 10 April 9, 2009 11:46 PM