Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20, 2012, 11:05 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default New to Watercooling: budget and expectations

Hi all,

I currently have an air cooled SS RV03-Black build. I am very new to watercooling, and am hoping for a bit of guidance from the community.

List of hardware -
MOBO - ASRock Z68 Extreme7Gen3
CPU - i7 2600k
RAM1 - Corsair Sniper 4GB
RAM2 - Corsair Sniper 4GB
GPU 1 - GTX580 3GB
GPU 2 - GTX580 3GB
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar Phoebus
SSD: HyperX 120GB
STORAGE 1: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM
STORAGE 2 Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM
PSU: AX1200

I will be thrilled to get rid of the Raven SV03 case, as in my opinion it is the worst choice I could have made even for air. For starters, the plastic is very cheap and flimsy and broke upon delivery, the hard drives were not easy to swap, and it's heavy. That said, 2 cases off the top of my head are the famous Corsair 800D, or at twice the price the SS TJ11. If the case is going to be epic for 5+years I don't mind dealing with the price tag of SS TJ11, but I'm very open to smarter choice if there are superior value cases.

As for the watercooling components and installation, I wouldn't even know where to begin. I was hoping to get ballpark budget from you guys, and maybe a couple of design tips for aesthetics, guidance and brands. My aim here is to have an impressive wc system, looking epic and very well functioning.

My first step is deciding on a case, I know the corsair and temjin will probably be good choices, but am interested in insight from those more savy than I.

Old August 20, 2012, 11:19 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Budget for WC loop.... I'd start at $300 and don't be surprised if it comes in higher. :)

It can be done for less (Dazmode has some pretty decent kits) but once you start adding in the shiney bits it starts adding up. :)

Well worth it though IMO.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old August 20, 2012, 11:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

also tons of people myself included sell used watercooling kits or our spare parts that can save you a bundle
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
Old August 20, 2012, 12:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Swiftech is generally the entry level price point for a custom water loop. SSW is right at about 300, and up. Pump, rad and res is nearly 200 of that, plus fittings, hose, and block(s). A decent CPU block is ~100. For cases, the 800D is awesome for watercooling and at half the price of your other case Id get it in a heartbeat. If you want to save a few more bux, you could go with the 'old yeller' of cases, and get a HAFX in the low 100's.

One thing I always try to tell friends about watercooling is that you have to treat it as your "sports car" of your computers. Dont expect it to be your daily driver. Breakdowns happen, cleanings need to be done, and you'll continually have to throw a bit of $ at it. Treat it as a hobby, treat it with respect and make sure you have time to dedicate to it.

That being said, once you go water, you probably wont go back.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 20, 2012, 12:42 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the helpful comments already - it's pretty encouraging, feels great to get into this wc hobby :) Btw, Sagath I was trying really hard to contain laughter over your hafx "old yeller" comment lool :)
. Funniest reference I've heard in a while!

Soullessone21, I'm absolutely open and interested in buying parts from the community! Definitely open to suggestions. My idea of wc parts is still pretty weak though, so will need a bit of advisement. will use this new motivation & interest to bring myself up to speed :P

I've been able to glean that everthing isn't always bought in one quick shot, but I am ready to start ordering parts that I can confirm will be needed in my ultimate build, and will not hinder my options down the road. I will try to compile a list of these right away, maybe with some pointers from you guys. If anyone is selling parts, feel free to let me know.

As for the case, at half the cost I agree 800D is more attractive than the TJ11. Unless there was some compelling darkhorse reasoning behind opting for the latter, I'm perfectly happy with the 800D option. If there are any "new gen" ideas (as i know the 800D is legendary), I wouldn't mind checking out some novel & other sleek options.
Old August 20, 2012, 12:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If you're looking to WC your GPU's as well, you better bump your budget up to around $600. Each full cover GPU block is around $125 new.

Pick your pump and rad to be able to handle the loads you are planning. Nothing gets more expensive than having to swap out parts that won't do the job.

As for your case "dilemma", are you looking to have internal or external rad/s? Darn near every full size case at least has tubing holes for external mounts these days, but I'm partial to fully contained builds myself.
Old August 20, 2012, 01:13 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

imo stay away from budget watercooling,what will happen is you will quickly see other setups etc,and you will want to go that route,after dropping a few hundred on a starter kit.
research till ur eyes bleed lol,and as posted here used parts are always around and can save you some money.
if using compressions-the dollars add up very quick.
2 580`s and that cpu mean over 1000 watts of heat dissipation required for a single loop
if 2 loops i would say a 240 for the cpu and a 480 for the gpu`s
just my 2 cents
Old August 23, 2012, 01:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Guys, I'm having a really tough time researching parts it's just all Greek to me.. Basically I'm thinking of going for the TJ11 case 586.32 free shipping at bestdirect: Buy Silverstone Technology [TJ11B-W] Silverstone Temjin TJ11B-W Aluminum E-ATX Case 9X5.25 6X3.5 Hot-Swap 2X2.5 No PS Black w/ Window

Is this a good decision?

If anyone can give me some choices for different parts it would help, I want flagship type parts. I don't know how many loops will be involved, but with the 2 big vid cards and cpu I'm guessing 2 or 3?

Thanks in advance,
Old August 23, 2012, 01:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I can't comment on the TJ-11 specifically, but I have 3 Silverstone cases for a reason. That is certainly their flagship case.

As for specific parts, what are you looking for? Max OC performance or the esthetic design of the blocks? I like the looks of Heatkiller blocks myself.
Old August 23, 2012, 05:54 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM - Ottawa View Post
Guys, I'm having a really tough time researching parts it's just all Greek to me.. Basically I'm thinking of going for the TJ11 case 586.32 free shipping at bestdirect: Buy Silverstone Technology [TJ11B-W] Silverstone Temjin TJ11B-W Aluminum E-ATX Case 9X5.25 6X3.5 Hot-Swap 2X2.5 No PS Black w/ Window

Is this a good decision?

If anyone can give me some choices for different parts it would help, I want flagship type parts. I don't know how many loops will be involved, but with the 2 big vid cards and cpu I'm guessing 2 or 3?

Thanks in advance,

Wow, $500+ for a case?? I thought spending $300 on a case was nuts

Anyhow... i'll ask you this:

Do you want a screaming, OC'able, balls-to-the-walls rig? Or do you want a quiet rig that can OC decently?

For the former - almost any case would work. But, it might also sound like a leafblower.

For the latter - well, you over-rad + low/mid fans. Now when you decide to over-rad, your case choice is limited (if you want it to contain everything inside).

Or another option is get the case you want and install the rads outside the case.

Of course, with that in mind - your budget will creep up as well.

Personally, i would get a case that's reasonably price, easy to mod and i wouldn't cringe if i do decide to mod it. Save the $$$ you save or put towards a better gear.

Gaming Rig:

-Swiffy MCP35x X2 & 240 Rad, (2) 480 EX XSPC Rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.7 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit

HTPC Rig:

-AMD 1100T, Gigabyte UD5, 16 GB G.Skill RAM, Asus 650ti Boost, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Antec 650 watt PS, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit