Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 23, 2012, 07:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

SugarJ, with regards to max oc or esthetics deisgn I am looking for the esthetics design. It is really important that this looks awesome :)

Prolab, I was assuming it would be very quiet. If it wasn't significantly quieter than my air build I would be confused. I'm not sure about the reference to rads, but I figure if I get a big enough case and keep them away from hanging out the exterior, my case would be more transportable if need be? I don't have to get the 600 dollar temjin11 case, but I would just feel safe in not having buyers remorse like for my present ss case.

Yes so looking impressive and cool, as well as being quiet are the main things I want to focus on in this project. Decent oc'ing will be expected. (I have also never oc'd before).

What do you guys think about the number of loops and rads etc I will need? Will my budget be more than $1000? $1500? Can you give me an example of a build I could use as a reference, and maybe I would be more successful in researching with that reference point in mind? :)
Old August 23, 2012, 08:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Off the cuff, I'd go with 2 loops. CPU on a 240mm rad, GPU's on 360mm rad. But I'd start with a complete loop on the CPU and get comfortable, then add the GPU loop in later. You will make mistakes, and learning from them on a simple loop should be easier on you.

Start by picking your CPU block. I happen to like the Watercool Heatkiller 3.0, but the Raystorm and DT Sniper appeal to me too. This place carries almost every CPU block out there, you can browse them all in the same place: Aquatuning -Your watercooling and modding distributor - Intel Sockel 1156 That's not to say you should buy from here though. Shop around.
Old August 24, 2012, 09:13 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM - Ottawa View Post
Prolab, I was assuming it would be very quiet. If it wasn't significantly quieter than my air build I would be confused. I'm not sure about the reference to rads, but I figure if I get a big enough case and keep them away from hanging out the exterior, my case would be more transportable if need be? I don't have to get the 600 dollar temjin11 case, but I would just feel safe in not having buyers remorse like for my present ss case.

Yes so looking impressive and cool, as well as being quiet are the main things I want to focus on in this project. Decent oc'ing will be expected. (I have also never oc'd before).

What do you guys think about the number of loops and rads etc I will need? Will my budget be more than $1000? $1500? Can you give me an example of a build I could use as a reference, and maybe I would be more successful in researching with that reference point in mind? :)

Well, quiet is a very loose term and subjective in WC. The more you read up on different type of rads, fans and your goal for water DT (Delta) - that's a lot of variables to take into account.

Let's start with your current fans. What kind of fans are they? How many do you have?

So let's assume you have (3) of those specific fans. Are they too loud for you? Tolerable?

If they're tolerable - imagine (6) in total. Now, do you see yourself tolerating it? Or do you prefer just having (3)?

Now once you say you can tolerate it - you're going to find a rad that's closely match to those fans. You have thick and thin rad + variations of FPI (Fins Per Inch).

Too many FPI, you need great static pressure to over come the fins. Now if you want awesome static pressure for your fans, you're going to pay a lot per fans.

Dont mean to confuse you, but you have to figure out all of this + other variables when it comes to WC. Im no expert, but when you carefully choose your components and read up on WC FAQ's - you''ll be more happy with the outcome.
-Swiffy MCP35x X2, (2) Aphacool UT60 480 rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

HTPC Rig:
-G3258 @ Stock, Asrock Z97 Pro 4, Gigabyte 270x, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Corsair HX620 PS, Win 7 Ult 64-bit
Old August 24, 2012, 03:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Okay I have 4 Corsair AF120 performance fans, 2 Corsair SP120 performance static fans, (only 1 installed atm), plus I have a spectre pro 120mm led fan, in addition to the fans that came with the SS Raven 03, which is the 2 180 fans at the bottom, and (well the spectre replaced the top fan actually) so thats about it. I could have went for the "quiet" model instead of "performance" of course Corsair gave the 2 options, but that's basically where I'm at with fans.

If I can figure out a a build that is both generous and is very aesthetically pleasing, I will be a happy boy. I am also considering now to wait for the new Corsair 900D "Godzilla" which info just leaked about.

Hope that answers the fans question, I would think switching to WC would lower the overall sound, but hey it's really a secondary criteria compared to the looks :P Albeit I don't want it to sound like a "leaf blower" haha. What should I be aiming for?
Old August 25, 2012, 03:16 PM
Top Prospect

If you are going to spend 600 on a case then make it case labs. Seriously, it is waste of cash to go corsair.

That picture says it all.

Last edited by matari; August 25, 2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old August 26, 2012, 06:12 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Has been a few years since running dual vids to cool, am using a 7970 and a 2600k now on a 240 rad on the lowest fan settings my controller allows and have had np's with cooling. Would guess a 360 may be needed in your case to handle the extra load of the second vid card, so your case should be able to handle a 360 rad in push/pull and also a 240 if your feel you need that much cooling to warrant a second loop. If you are willing to spend $500 on a case you should look into http://www.mountainmods.com/ for some case choices. Allot of us have modded or jammed stuff into smaller cases for years now. Be nice to start it all with a roomy case.
Daz has some nice kits that looks cool also imho. Running the raystorm custom kit from him now. Have water cooled a few cases over the years and if was going to do a new build would go with a mountainmod case to start, this time around.
Old August 26, 2012, 08:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hi RM - Ottawa.

I see the others have answered most of your questions already. I skimmed through the whole thread so I will try to offer a little advice. I must say that 300 dollar budget target is so bogus especially for your setup. I'm glad at least 1 person mentioned that. I would expect to spend well over 500, closer to 7 or 800... maybe more. Fittings can be a killer. As for cases you might want to look into caselabs or little devil cases as mentioned above if you are considering spending that much money on a case. There is actually one for sale at a great price on the BST. I have a NZXT Switch 810 which is pretty cheap as far as price and decent quality and can house a ton of radiators (420 3x140, 280 2x140 plus 2 more single 140mm radiators) If you are capable of minor mods. Others to look at as mentioned before caselabs and tj11. I would also look into the Cosmos II if I had the $$. :D

As for silence it is possible but you will need to go overkill on the radiator. You gotta remember you still need fans for WC, and usually more then you would need for air. I would get a nice fan controller and run your fans at a low speed with a radiator like Alphacool Nexxxos UT60 . You can read the reviews for the performance of this radiator here . It has amazing performance at low speeds. All speeds actually. I am about to order 2 of them myself. :D

As for aesthetics that is really all up to you. Have you chosen a definite motherboard yet? I would say plan your whole color theme around the motherboards color layout. I would be glad to help you as I am big on aesthetics and I have changed most all of my components 4 times in the past year in pursuit of a magazine cover worthy pc! after 3 fails I'm almost there!
Old August 26, 2012, 08:43 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

For a case I was also going to mention the NXZT Switch 810. It gives you lots of options for rad mounting. If you want an extensive video regarding water cooling in it check out Tom Logan's video. He goes into great depth. It's a long video.

NZXT Switch 810 Review & Watercooling Guide
Old August 26, 2012, 10:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

My Little Devil PC-V8 is running at a good price... Cheaper than $500 Not to mention that it has case feet, PCI brackets, NoiseBlocker fans, and Vandal Resistant switches - which are all extra.