Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 13, 2012, 03:54 PM
Top Prospect

Default Arctic Cooling Accelero Hybrid!

This is pretty exciting stuff. I'm a big fan of closed loop water cooling heatsinks. This one almost does it for video cards.

Arctic Cooling Accelero Hybrid!
Accelero Hybrid 7970 VGA Cooling ARCTIC

It's a little disappointing that it's not flush with the card but it's trying to be universal and hence the nasty design and the fan.

It's a little expensive but if enough manufacturer start producing this or something similar to this. It would drive price down. I really dislike the fan but I wonder if it can do away without the fan if there is enough airflow in the chassis.

What do you guys think?
Old August 13, 2012, 04:19 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Eh at that price it doesnt do anything for me. IMO either get a card with good cooling from the big 3 (asus, msi, gigabyte) or go custom on it. Its a neat idea but seems like a bit of an overcomplication. Also that fan is necessary because how else would the vrm's get cooled properly?
Old August 13, 2012, 05:27 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

:O I did something simmilar to my graphics card... cost was $52 for an antec kuhler 620, and a universal bracket to use h50/70 kuhler 620/920 coolers on AMD/intel graphics cards. Pulled the shroud and vapor chamber off of the stock cooler on the card, turned the fan to 50% and PCB stays at 46C while gaming/folding for hours straight.
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...8_120211-1.jpg
Old August 14, 2012, 05:09 PM
Top Prospect

Wow. That's pretty sweet.

What about the VRM and RAM? I don't see any 3rd party heatsink on your mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adzsask View Post
:O I did something simmilar to my graphics card... cost was $52 for an antec kuhler 620, and a universal bracket to use h50/70 kuhler 620/920 coolers on AMD/intel graphics cards. Pulled the shroud and vapor chamber off of the stock cooler on the card, turned the fan to 50% and PCB stays at 46C while gaming/folding for hours straight.
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...8_120211-1.jpg
Old August 14, 2012, 08:38 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangrisser View Post
Wow. That's pretty sweet.

What about the VRM and RAM? I don't see any 3rd party heatsink on your mod.
just the stock evga sink under the vapor chamber, 46C max on the vrm's.
Old August 14, 2012, 09:36 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I believe there is a guy on another site , cant think of which one off the top of my head that will custom make brackets to stamp closed loop coolers on cards. I myself was planning on doing this with my itx build as I dont feel like fighting with a custom loop lol.
Old August 15, 2012, 09:18 AM
Top Prospect

It's too bad video card manufacturer didn't standardize the heatsink mounts even by one brand either AMD or nVidia. I think it might have saved them some cost by standardizing across some of the higher ends at the least. (ex. 7970, 7950, 7870, 7850) but of course, that makes things just to easy. qq
Old February 25, 2013, 11:02 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I agree that Arctic Cooling Accelero Hybrid is not pretty added to a card, but it has a lot of charm as a cooling solution. I saw one installed with the Accelero Hybrid radiator at the bottom of the case drawing in, and a separate CPU cooler at the back of the case drawing in. Interior air was being vented out of the top of the case.

In a modern system the only two components that really develop significant heat are the CPU and GPU, and if you can cool them both with a closed-loop liquid cooler then the thermal environment inside the case becomes a lot less important.

You can push a system almost as hard as you want then and it won't break a sweat, and interior temps will be managed easily with a few standard case fans.

It's only when one starts jacking the gear up way beyond it's rated specifications that this setup is going to reach it's limitations.

It's ugly, but the cooling performance is stellar and it's got some serious charm as part of a complete case interior thermal solution.