Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 7, 2012, 12:09 AM
Rookie

Default Silly WC question

I bought my H100 last october. The past few days in BC have been the first time it's dealt with summer heat, and I'm finally seeing why people call it loud. Vaguely considering a WC setup, but I had a stupid idea pop into my head and I'm curious if anyone has an answer. You can tldr the second paragraph.

Say I wanted to cool my GPU and CPU with the same loop, using, say, a 360mm radiator. If I connect them in series, probably CPU first since it puts out less heat and has lower thermal tolerance, the second component (GPU) in the loop will run hotter than if it were the first component, correct? My CPU probably dumps 100w of heat under load, so the water heats up, and is less efficient at heat transfer when it reaches the GPU. Plus, the theoretical lowest temp the GPU can be cooled to will be higher, as the water is X degrees warmer than were the GPU connected first in the loop.

So my question:
What if I were to split the outflow from the radiator into two separate loops, the combine them together again to enter the radiator as one line? I could run 1/2 ID from the radiator to some sort of split, then 3/8 ID from each branch to the CPU and GPU, then after that rejoin them to 1/2 ID tubing to go back to the radiator.
If my thinking is correct, each component would be receiving the coolest possible water for better efficiency, but the actual heat energy being handled by the radiator would remain unchanged. I am reasoning that reduced flow to each component will be offset by the cooler water. I roughly calculated that the flow for 3/8 tubing is around 55% that of 1/2 tubing, holding velocity constant.

Is this just a really stupid idea that I'll laugh at once I start serious research into a water cooling setup (I like to educate myself on such things before jumping in, and I have yet to do that; just asking something that popped into my head)? Are my high school physics understanding and sleepy brain letting me down? Would I be better off with separate, smaller radiators?
Old August 7, 2012, 12:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The heat from the GPU & CPU will heat the water to one central temperature, having them run separate loops to the same rad/res won't make it any better, also 3/8ths.
Old August 7, 2012, 07:15 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I think the secret is heat dissipation much more than how many loops you have or placement of your components. The water absorbs heat from your components. It is not transfering cold to them. It's a matter of gaining and loosing heat and water can absorb much more heat than air. In a closed loop, the water reaches a certain temperature and it's the same temp no matter where it is in the loop. It will be almost the same before and after your CPU. What you have to do is dissipate the heat that the water is absorbing from your CPU an GPU. That's the purpose of your rads. The more surface the water will go through to loose heat is the better.
I used to run a dual loop set up. One 360 for the CPU and one 360 for the GPUs. It was a lot of trouble to maintain.
After a bit of research, I tried a single loop set up with the two 360 in series. I had absolutely no change with my CPU temp (29-30 idle, 45-48 load). But for the GPUs, the temp changed for better, even if they are immediately after my CPU... (32-35 idle, 45-50 load vs 27-30 idle, 42-45 load). And for the flow, I have 1/2 ID tubing. I am running two DDC pumps in serie. One or two pumps running have absolutely no effects on temperature. I'm cooling an i7 2600k and two eVGA GTX570 Superclocked. Those temps have been taken with everything at stock speed.
My advice is simple, don't bother with complex set ups. I don't think many small rads will do better than a 360. Stay with one loop but put more rads you can in it so it can boost heat dissipation efficiency. The rest dosn't matter that much.

Last edited by pellelu; August 7, 2012 at 07:26 AM.