Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 18, 2012, 06:44 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Help to choose a pump

Hello,
I'd need some advice concerning pumps. I'm going to cool my cpu and gpu, and use a 180.3 rad. I'd like which pump be the best to keep a good pression in my loop, but also one that isn't too noisy.

Thank you!
Old July 18, 2012, 07:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Liang d5 which will be rebranded as a d5 from other makers or called mcp655 by swiftech.
Old July 18, 2012, 08:01 AM

My System Specs

Without a doubt a Swiftech MCP35x. It is the only pump I will use now. It is the about as powerful as water cooling pumps get plus it can be controlled via PWM. Since it can be slowed by PWM it can run at a considerably lower speed than pumps controlled by voltage, meaning quieter.
Old July 18, 2012, 08:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

Arkilion depends on how pump is cared for, like don't run pump dry, or drop pump and knock the balance weights out of sync.

go with the D5 VARIO (adjustable speed) to dail in you silenence

another qusetion are going to use a top or keep stock pump cover
Old July 18, 2012, 10:10 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

For the cover question, I never asked myself, as I don't really know the use of doing so. For the pump choice, as in 3 answers I only get 2 choices, it considerably reduce the problem, so thank you for that part! :P
Old July 19, 2012, 11:47 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkilion View Post
For the cover question, I never asked myself, as I don't really know the use of doing so. For the pump choice, as in 3 answers I only get 2 choices, it considerably reduce the problem, so thank you for that part! :P

Those two choices are about the best you are going to get there is other pumps but these are the main ones and for good reason .

As for the top it improves performance and aesthetics and allows you to use different fittings ,the inlet and outlet are part of the pump housing on the OE pumps and the MOD tops do not generally come with fittings .

I have only used D5 or ghetto pumps that I rigged, the D5 is a solid pump , I can't really say anything about the MCP35X I have never owned one .
Old August 1, 2012, 06:26 PM
Trial Member

I swear by the D5's, like everyone else has said. They just simply work. If you're on space constraints, XSPC makes a D5/reservior combo right here.

While I like the MCP35X for it's pumping power, sometimes it's hard to fit that neatly into a cooling setup somewhere in the case. That's just my opinion, however you can buy res attachments for it that look pretty sweet.

If you're on a tight tight budget, go for a Danger Den CPX-Pro. Little louder of a pump (slight buzz coming from mine), but it gets the job done.
Old August 1, 2012, 11:09 PM
Top Prospect

I've used MCP35Xs in my water loop before and they are a great pump.
Old August 2, 2012, 09:45 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Without a doubt a Swiftech MCP35x. It is the only pump I will use now. It is the about as powerful as water cooling pumps get plus it can be controlled via PWM. Since it can be slowed by PWM it can run at a considerably lower speed than pumps controlled by voltage, meaning quieter.
I find the noise made by a D5 running at 24v will get drowned out by the quietest of fans. I guess the PWM gives you the benefit of performing less wear when idle thus extending pump life expectancy?
Old August 2, 2012, 10:40 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
I find the noise made by a D5 running at 24v will get drowned out by the quietest of fans. I guess the PWM gives you the benefit of performing less wear when idle thus extending pump life expectancy?
How do you run it at 24v on a 12v power supply?