Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 14, 2012, 03:41 PM
Rookie

Default Need advice, HD6990 Liquid cooling

Hello Guys,

Please feel free to list components that would allo me to grow with. First and foremost I want to water cool my reference Sapphire HD6990 vga.

I am using a Coolermaster 690 Advanced case w XFX 850 watt Black edition, 3570K and 16GB DDR3. I will leave the cpu on air using Hyper 212 evo for now but would like the ysstem to be able to handle addition of the 3570K being watercooled later.

I have not played around with water for a while and I already have the XSPC Razor block/bracket for the HD6990 which will use 375-400w.

For rads I was considering:
XSPC 240 Rad
Swiftech MCR220 rad
Black Ice SR1 120 w 2x Gentle Typhoon AP-15's for fans

The single rad 120 rad his probably will not allow me to add the 3570K in though but thats okay to start with if I am saving. For a pump I was looking at the Swiftech MCP35X2 but will take advice suggestions, is there an all in one by Swiftech. I am also able to order out of the USA so feel free to suggest where I may want to look

Build me a unit guys, I want silence.
Old July 14, 2012, 06:40 PM
Rookie

Taking a look at Swiftech any comments on items below, any downsides?

Swiftech MCR-X20 Drive (Rev.3) Radiator Series - PC Liquid Cooling Systems CPU Cooler VGA Water Block Heatsink Pump Radiator Heat Exchanger Kit
MCR-X20 Drive Rev3 Series Heat Exchangers with Integrated Pump and Reservoir

Swiftech G1/4 Barb Fittings
G1/4 Barb Eurostyle brass fittings - Rouchon Industries Inc., dba Swiftech - PC Liquid Cooling Systems CPU Cooler VGA Water Block Heatsink Pump Radiator Heat Exchanger Kit

XSPC Razor Block

hello anyone out there
Old July 14, 2012, 08:48 PM
Top Prospect

If you want silence, you will need lots of radiator. However, 120.3 full size radiator (XSPC RX is a full size radiator) with AP-15 cranked up should be enough for that setup.
Old July 14, 2012, 08:58 PM
Rookie

I have decided to go with:

Swiftech MCR-X20 Drive Rev3 Series Heat Exchangers w Integrated Pump and Reservoir
Dangerden FB (Fat Boy) G 1/4 fittings - 1/2" Barb
Either the pair of AP-15 or AP-14

I went with the Swiftech option over a separate pump for convenience. The swiftech unit was $139 plus shipping to my USA addy plus the fans, gotta choose Ap-15 or Ap-14, I am thinking the 14's should provide enough for the loop

Trying to decide if the COUGAR CF-V12HPB might be an option over the GT AP-15's for less money, specs are similar and seems to be a toss up between the 2 except for the horizontal fan noise grinding issue and no reviews on major sites

Last edited by Cisco Kid; July 15, 2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old July 15, 2012, 12:06 PM
Top Prospect

In terms of overall performance, there is nothing in the same class as the GT AP-15. Don't go by what is listed on the fan's package; it's more than likely a lie. However, is it really worth the extra coin for at best 2c degree gain?

I know Corsair has come out with a new radiator fan (SP version). I have yet to test one, but everyone seems to like them. They are slightly cheaper than the GT AP-15, so maybe to you can check them out.
Old July 15, 2012, 02:55 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataribot View Post
In terms of overall performance, there is nothing in the same class as the GT AP-15. Don't go by what is listed on the fan's package; it's more than likely a lie. However, is it really worth the extra coin for at best 2c degree gain?

I know Corsair has come out with a new radiator fan (SP version). I have yet to test one, but everyone seems to like them. They are slightly cheaper than the GT AP-15, so maybe to you can check them out.
Thanks , do you think a pair of AP-14s' on the Switech 240 rad will be enough, I will be suing a Sunbeam Rheobus as well , the 14's are 1450rpm the 15's 1850, I don't think the 6990 will need more than 1200rpm via the 14's on the MCR-X20 w integrated pump to cool adequately leaving me some room, but then again I hear what you are saying, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it for the difference in cost.

I was questioning the Cougars for the fact the specs are almost identical...but like I said no major reviews just opinions
Old July 15, 2012, 05:10 PM
Top Prospect

At bare minimum you should have 120 mm for each component. However, the 6990 is a dual GPU card if I am not mistaken. It might be possible to use a dual radiator with that setup, but I would not recommend it. There would be not issues with a full size radiator 120.3 (Full size is radiator like the XSPC RX series) with the AP-14's. I am assuming you want to H2O the CPU eventually. If it is just the GPU then it should be fine.
Old July 15, 2012, 05:41 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataribot View Post
At bare minimum you should have 120 mm for each component. However, the 6990 is a dual GPU card if I am not mistaken. It might be possible to use a dual radiator with that setup, but I would not recommend it. There would be not issues with a full size radiator 120.3 (Full size is radiator like the XSPC RX series) with the AP-14's. I am assuming you want to H2O the CPU eventually. If it is just the GPU then it should be fine.
I am limited on space in the 690 Advanced. I will be using the dual rad to cool the gpu alone, it is not enough to add the cpu to the loop. The cpu would need an effective 120 rad and fans or its own dual rad, so i will probably leave the cpu on air. I am more concerned about the 6990, yes it is a dual 4gb gpu card thats a monster and puts out some heat. I looked at the RX240m but opted for the Swiftech all in one which utilizes their Extreme Performance rads , it is a dual 120
Swiftech MCR-X20 Drive (Rev.3) Radiator Series - PC Liquid Cooling Systems CPU Cooler VGA Water Block Heatsink Pump Radiator Heat Exchanger Kit
Old July 15, 2012, 07:30 PM
Rookie

I plan to just do the 6990 under water as I can not get a 360 rad into my 690 Advanced so I will probably leave the cpu on air or go with a 120 rad and good pump and fan. I choce the Swiftech rad as it is the same rad as in their performance series but it simplifies it for me with the reservoir and built in pump. It is revision 3 and has great reviews. I am figuring the AP-14's run via Sunbean Rheobus will be more than adequate but then again for a few bux more the 15's give you that extra cooling power.....
Old July 15, 2012, 07:55 PM
Top Prospect

Dual rad is more than enough for the GPU. If you are going to add the CPU, that might be a problem :(