Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 12, 2008, 02:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default NB Cooling..

I have a 680i mobo and my CPU is watercooled. My GFX card is soon going to be watercooled too. Question is, should I watercool my NB? If I don't, how much performance decrease will I get?

Also, is the UNISINK any good?

Last edited by Infiniti; April 12, 2008 at 03:03 AM.
Old April 13, 2008, 04:49 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
I have a 680i mobo and my CPU is watercooled. My GFX card is soon going to be watercooled too. Question is, should I watercool my NB? If I don't, how much performance decrease will I get?

Also, is the UNISINK any good?
Well Depending on how high of overclock your going to do water cooling if very effecient epecially for these highspeed products out reaching over 1000FSB! Anyways I suggest you water cool the NB on these i680 boards as they do tend to get quite hot. And the temperaure difference would depend on your ambient temps + your WC equipment.
What are your current temps now and what is your water cooling setup?
Dont know much about the unisink jsut lookin it up on google now

Primu$
Old April 13, 2008, 05:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primu$ View Post
What are your current temps now and what is your water cooling setup?
My temps average from 35-40 on idle, and 45-50 on load. Thats on a single rad. I'm going to get a triple rad... For the swiftech MCR320, should the fans be push or pull?
Old April 13, 2008, 09:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would (and do) watercool the nvidia NB- they get really hot especially when you don't have the fan on the CPU cooler anymore to push more air around in there.

As for push pull- it's not a huge difference- ideal is push with a fan shroud, but do whatever works best with your rad mounting options.
Old April 13, 2008, 08:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Okay.. watercool it is... but, one question.. people say that mounting the MCW30 on the chipset can chip the NB.. which is bad . How do we prevent this? I cant get the raising kit from swiftech because they don't ship to canada.
Old April 14, 2008, 02:47 PM
Allstar
F@H

I've seen people use foam or a few layers of electrical tape before, but I'm not sure how well it would work on the 680i. You could also order the raising bracket from a store in the US like Petra's or Performance-PCs, though you may have to pay customs.

I have the D-Tek Unisink with a Swiftech MCW60. It works really well at keeping the ram cool. The only problem is, you either have to use the D-Tek gpu block (which is very restrictive) or drill four holes a bit larger. I opted for the latter. It was really easy to drill, any regular hand drill should work. I can't remember the size of the drill bit I used, I think it was 3/32 or 7/64 for some reason. I also get a few extra nuts to hold down the D-Tek a bit better in the middle, though its not necessary.
Old April 15, 2008, 06:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well... I'm fine with it being restrictive... the MCP665 (I think thats what the pump was called) should be able to handle it. Which Unisink are you using? Theres the new one which has alot more fins than the first one.
Old April 15, 2008, 07:36 PM
Allstar
F@H

I'm using the newer one with more fins. With the GPU memory at 1026, the thing barely feels warm at idle. I've never actually touched it at load, but based on the lack of artifacts I'm going to assume its still plenty cool enough.