Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   NB Cooling - What would you do? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/5520-nb-cooling-what-would-you-do.html)

biff April 10, 2008 09:12 PM

NB Cooling - What would you do?

Here's a pic of my case layout:

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/7499/rimg1744uo6.jpg

I've since removed the two fans at the top of the case because I found they did squat. The NB cooler is a Noctua NC-U6. This is a really good cooler just not passively. With no fans running around it the temp of the base as measured with an IR gun is about 53 and that's at idle. Everything seems to work OK but that temp doesn't sit well with me.

Mounting a fan at the back above the expansion slots blowing out hoping to direct case airflow past it didn't improve things much it at all. I switched the fan around so that it blows in somewhat past the NC-U6 and the temps at the base dropped to 34 and that's while priming. Big difference. The down side is that makes 3 fans blowing into the case and none blowing out so, when the side is on, there is too much static pressure and the temps of the CPU and GPU suffer.

My case is pretty quiet which has sparked a little "quiet kick" so adding more fans is not what I want to do. I have come up with three solutions:

1. Remove that fan at the back and try to sleep at night having the NB running 55+.
2. Mount a small fan on the NC-U6. A neat solution but It still doesn't eliminate a fan.
3. Get a MCW30 and include it in the GPU loop.

All seem to have +'s and -'s but I'm favouring solution #3. I know WC a NB is way over kill but it allows the elimination of a fan, hose routing will not be any hassle, and there will be minimal additional load in that loop. And that loop keeps my 8800GT at 47 max loaded temps which includes an overvolt so I feel there is easily extra capacity there. A very minor benefit is a small additional "coolness" factor too.

Any thoughts on this?

sswilson April 10, 2008 09:28 PM

Looks to me like WC on the northbridge is the next logical step for this build.

Cptn Vortex April 10, 2008 09:32 PM

Mmm indeed. MCW30 FTW. I would probably just mount a nice silent 70mm fan from a stock AMD heatsink. They usually do the trick for me.

vinister April 10, 2008 10:13 PM

Ya I would do the fan. Your system is so clean and minimal, adding the NB to the water loop will take away from the simplicity of it all. All you need is a nice thin fan on there, I'm pretty sure I can see a fan plug right next to the NB cooler, so you wont see any wires. It will only cost 5-10 bucks for a slow fan and you will not hear it. I have a feeling with that cooler even 20cfm would be plenty.

Galaad97 April 10, 2008 10:50 PM

Just add a Scythe Mini Kaze 40mm fan ..its rated at 14dba, so you shouldnt hear it at all.
that should do the trick.. and costs 4.50... I've seen some reviews of the Noctua chipset cooler with thin 60mm fans.... Im sure you can find Vantec 60mm around, they're rated around 20db which is pretty good too..

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...facture=Scythe

Hardware Canucks: Vantec - Vantec Stealth 60mm Cooling Fan with Double Ball Bearing - Silent - SF6025L

Primu$ April 11, 2008 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biff (Post 51097)
Here's a pic of my case layout:

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/7499/rimg1744uo6.jpg

I've since removed the two fans at the top of the case because I found they did squat. The NB cooler is a Noctua NC-U6. This is a really good cooler just not passively. With no fans running around it the temp of the base as measured with an IR gun is about 53 and that's at idle. Everything seems to work OK but that temp doesn't sit well with me.

Mounting a fan at the back above the expansion slots blowing out hoping to direct case airflow past it didn't improve things much it at all. I switched the fan around so that it blows in somewhat past the NC-U6 and the temps at the base dropped to 34 and that's while priming. Big difference. The down side is that makes 3 fans blowing into the case and none blowing out so, when the side is on, there is too much static pressure and the temps of the CPU and GPU suffer.

My case is pretty quiet which has sparked a little "quiet kick" so adding more fans is not what I want to do. I have come up with three solutions:

1. Remove that fan at the back and try to sleep at night having the NB running 55+.
2. Mount a small fan on the NC-U6. A neat solution but It still doesn't eliminate a fan.
3. Get a MCW30 and include it in the GPU loop.

All seem to have +'s and -'s but I'm favouring solution #3. I know WC a NB is way over kill but it allows the elimination of a fan, hose routing will not be any hassle, and there will be minimal additional load in that loop. And that loop keeps my 8800GT at 47 max loaded temps which includes an overvolt so I feel there is easily extra capacity there. A very minor benefit is a small additional "coolness" factor too.

Any thoughts on this?

Hi biff,
Wow! Nice setup ITS SO FRESH & SO CLEAN! Great Job :thumb:!
I would also just slap a small fan on the NB Since your hose/loop is minimal and tidy already. Id say leave that mod as a future upgrade ifs its neccessary and the NB fan isnt cutting it.
Also can you edit the picture or explane the airflow of your system?
Is the rad sucking air up and blowing it out the top & rear of the case? or is it opposite what im saying?
Just make sure you have it setup so that its not trapping hot air inside the case!
Very nice case BTW I like the clearance you get for the rad/components
Might I also comment on the tidyness and the wireless-ness =P
Good clean setup for those newbies getting into water cooling and want to have a good idea and setup this is IT kids!

Varroa April 11, 2008 04:51 AM

I have the same case and no matter what I did I couldn't get decent temps out of my NB, even with active air cooling. So, when I installed my watercooling I ended up adding a swiftech NB block to my loop and now and I have great NB temps!

magictorch April 11, 2008 07:07 AM

For performance I'd lean towards a NB block but that leaves the question as to whether the MOSFETS are getting enough air (although im not familiar with your board). I think you could probably pull it off and keep the minimalist look given what you've already achieved.

Other than that if a little NB fan works well enough then go for it...might as well buy one and see before taking your loop to bits. Personally I use an antec spotfan for mem and NB but that would really spoil the look in your system.

Eldonko April 11, 2008 07:56 AM

Unnecessary TBH unless you plan on doing some benching at hi NB volts.

ErroneousFrog April 11, 2008 06:20 PM

What about one of those little Antec spot coolers?