Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 30, 2012, 06:53 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default new H100 + P/P setup. does this seem right to you?

I replaced my dinky coolermaster H8 with a H100 and 4 cougar vortex fans I had. they are set up in push/pull blowing INTO the case (yes INTO). my i7 920 is at 3.8GHz (with hyperthreading) topping out at about 60C with IC compound paste I had in my drawer.

now I got a couple of questions:
#1 - do the temps seem right to you? (my room's at about 75F)
#2 - I plugged in 2 of my 4 fans into the mobo, but having no more plugs, I put the rest in tandem, thru adapters onto PSU's 4 pin molex line. IF they are sitting in tandem, will the RPM decrease?
#3 - I always wanted to break the 4GHz barrier (and punch the face of god) so... yh
#4 - if I didn't hook it up in the most efficient way, how could it be better?

my setup: HAF 932 case, i7 920 @ 3.8GHz, 12GB gskill RAM @ 1866 (I think), ASUS P6X58D mobo, MSI 580GTX, 1000W PSU.

P.S. as a pleasant bonus (actually I set up intake on purpose) the GPU is 5C cooler now that it's hit by so much air from the top.

P.P.S. if I plug said 4 cougar fans directly into the H100 pump unit, and set it to highest RPM, will there be any change vs just on PSU's line?

Last edited by crawlerz246; June 30, 2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old June 30, 2012, 09:13 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I would suggest using the fancontroller built into the pump (or at least give it a try) and as for temps well I dont know intel that well but I think you still have a fair amount of headroom left to get 4ghz
Old June 30, 2012, 09:24 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPhatPaulie View Post
I would suggest using the fancontroller built into the pump (or at least give it a try) and as for temps well I dont know intel that well but I think you still have a fair amount of headroom left to get 4ghz
as for the fan controller, I just did that (mostly for looks, I mean the fans are most likely already at max since they were on PSU)

yh I know I got at least 10C left on the top but I just wanted to make sure that this is about within limits. not running worse then average so to speak.
Old June 30, 2012, 10:33 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Ive seen a few threads on here about that chips limits (and you can always google if your really impatient haha)
Old June 30, 2012, 01:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

More overclock :) temps look good, mine are 52C full load on an i7 950 at 4.2 under a 360mm rad with 2 pull fans mounted externally.
Old June 30, 2012, 01:12 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

you raise an interesting question. most if not all people I saw mount the fans SUCKING air FROM the case. I did it the opposite way. why do people do it? does it help get more out of the temps? but why would it? the case has hot/warm air that will be ran over the rad. isn't that counter-intuitive? I mean right now it's sucking coolER air from the room and blowing it over the rad. wouldn't blowing warm air over the rad actually RAISE its temp?

help me understand this plz
Old June 30, 2012, 01:14 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlerz246 View Post
you raise an interesting question. most if not all people I saw mount the fans SUCKING air FROM the case. I did it the opposite way. why do people do it? does it help get more out of the temps? but why would it? the case has hot/warm air that will be ran over the rad. isn't that counter-intuitive? I mean right now it's sucking coolER air from the room and blowing it over the rad. wouldn't blowing warm air over the rad actually RAISE its temp?

help me understand this plz
when you pull, you don't get a dead spot like when the fan is pushing(dead spot is where the fan motor is mounted) I always make my rad suck outside air, why make it pull in pre-heated air? makes no sense to me.
Old June 30, 2012, 01:23 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adzsask View Post
I always make my rad suck outside air, why make it pull in pre-heated air? makes no sense to me.
so you pull in air from the room too?
why doesn't everyone then?! this is harder to understand then advanced calculus in chinese.

and one more question for the road then.

is push/pull (4 fans) any better then just pull (2 fans, bottom of rad?) and if they are, then would it make more sense to push air into the rad (from the top) rather then suck air out (from the bottom).

I'm feeling my setup could be better.
Old June 30, 2012, 01:34 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I pull air from inside the case because I have the CPU and GPU under water so theres no excess heat being dumped into the case. Air comes in the front and goes out the top/back. I get good temps this way. I also have 2 fans pulling air out through the rad so that helps as well
Old June 30, 2012, 01:55 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

........so in essence which setup is better.....
NUMBA 1
NUMBA 2
NUMBA 3
NUMBA 4

sorry I don't have time to check myself, being disabled it makes everything about 10x as long to do... I mean I could but it'd take a day

actually there are two more posibilities, same as 1 and 2 but with fans UNDER the rad

Tags
corsair , h100