Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 26, 2012, 05:23 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default first watercooling - I have questions

Hello,
I'm going to build a new computer, and this time, I'm planning on watercooling it, and I have few questions, as I always used air cooling only. I'll be watercooling a 2600k, overclocked, and maybe the gpu too, but not sure yet. The case will be a silverstone FT02.

I want to use a triple 180mm radiator, but I don't know which is better, as I can't really find any review or benchmark. I heard about the magicool one, but some people seems to say that it can be noisy compare to others. Also, does shrouds would help reduce the sound? I want this computer the be quiet if possible. and

Finally, any good 180mm fans for a radiator?

Thank you
Old June 26, 2012, 05:56 PM
Top Prospect

There is only the magicool that I know of, and it's only available from 3 places right now: Aquatuning.us, Performance PCS and FrozenCPU. Of the three Aquatuning would be the best for shipping and overall least hassle, but it's also the highest base price. Sidewinder is looking to see about bringing them in, but nothing concrete yet. I would not touch performance PCS with a 10' pole after what's gone on in the last year with them and Canadian shipping.

I'm also doing a FT02 build later this year and the Magicool 540 is pretty much defacto for that case. The AP181 fans that come with the modern case are good enough, and if mounted in pull config double as a fan guard. You won't have room for a shroud in the case, and the noise from the FT02 really only comes out of the top.

Updated with some pricing:

Aquatuning.us: $160.31 total, including taxes, shipping and brokerage
FrozenCPU: $140.38 total including shipping
Performance PCS: Who cares, not Canadian friendly

You're paying about 20 bucks more with aquatuning.us but it's 3 day shipping with zero worry of brokerage fees. Frozen you could chose USPS > Canada post, but there is no real tracking and brokerage can still be an issue. If you go UPS there will most certainly be a brokerage fee.

Again, I would just go with Aquatuning at this point. Unfortunately for us it's a limited appeal rad and shipping options suck. If Aquatuning was the same price as the other two baseline there would be no question ($135 vs $110).

Hope that helps.

Last edited by KylSp; June 26, 2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old June 27, 2012, 01:17 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

thank you, then I'll probably go that way
Old June 27, 2012, 06:16 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Only issue with Magicool radiators is that they're aluminum. Aluminum doesn't play very nice with copper, brass, and nickel in a closed loop. You will need corrosion inhibitors in your liquid.
Old June 27, 2012, 07:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

Ive never heard of them being aluminum before :-\
Old June 27, 2012, 10:28 PM
Top Prospect

That rad is definitely NOT aluminum, the fins are copper and the channels are brass.
Old June 27, 2012, 11:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Yea i've never heard that one either , check out Martinsliquidlab he has some reviews and and very good tests. He also has fan tests .

I haven't had the need for a rad in many years but just started to look at whats new with them , as far as fans go I keep hearing that Noctua is one of the quietest out there but i have yet to try one my self .
Old June 28, 2012, 06:45 AM
MVP

My System Specs

there are corrosion inhibitors fluids?
Old June 28, 2012, 07:14 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungwirez View Post
there are corrosion inhibitors fluids?
yes there is and also Items you put in the water to kill bacteria.
Old June 28, 2012, 07:14 AM
Top Prospect

Yes, and for basically all the loops these days (alu rads are rare), they're not required unless you're running EK's crappy plated blocks ;)