Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 9, 2008, 05:52 PM
Rookie

Default MCR320 started leaking

After months of use my mcr 320 rad has developed a small leak at the barb,i've not pulled it apart yet but has anyone else had issues like this using a steel 1/4 barbs and o-rings?

Or are you guys using the barbs with plumbers PTFE tape and no o-rings ?

Last edited by LooseCannon; April 9, 2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old April 9, 2008, 07:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I haven't had any issues myself (using steel & o-rings), but I hope you've shut down until you can determine the cause. (Small leaks can turn into torrents fairly quickly).

Two possibilities come to mind.....

1/ Your barbs might not be tightened well enough and they've backed off a bit during the last few months, or,

2/ You tightened the barbs too tightly crushing the o-rings and they've finally given way. (Although, if I remember correctly, don't the MCRs have a small channel for the o-ring around the inlets which should prevent that?).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 9, 2008, 07:16 PM
Rookie

Yes they do have a channel, and unfortunately it is a bad rad after further inspection, heh this sucks.
Actually my setup seems very similar to yours sswilson ...... are you using the plastic barb in the apogee GT ?

Last edited by LooseCannon; April 9, 2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old April 10, 2008, 12:21 PM
Top Prospect

Hey,
I would recommend ALWAYS using plumbers PTFE tape its just an extra precaution, weather or not ur setup is tight (to your eye).
Try using some plumbers tape and see if it stops the leak and if you can, do you see any manufacturings defects like crack or breaks in the metal. If so I'd contact them for an RMA if possible.

Primu$
Old February 20, 2009, 11:02 AM
Trial Member

Default Leaking Barbs

I would drain the system and remove the barb. With the barb removed, remove and inspect the O-ring, the watertight seal is made between the face of the rad opening and the o-ring. If the o-ring looks ok I would lubricate it with plumbers grease, silicon based(DONOT use patroleum based grease, it will destroy the rubber.DONOT use patroleum jelly) and put it back on, if not replace it(any plumbing store will have them. Then inspect the threads, since the water seal is at the o-ring the coolant is free to flow around the threads and may corrode them. This will making them slip when you tighten the barb, reducing the compression of the o-ring and thus leak. If the threads are corroded replace the barb. Plumbers tape is unesssary and could damage the rad. The threads are only there to compress the o-ring not provide a seal, plumbers tape is used on a tapered thread where the seal occurs on the threads. The taper causes the threads to compress against one another as you tighten the barb, plumbers tape fills and seals in the gaps as the threads are compressed. In a parrallel thread, like the one you have, there is no compression of the threads, the leading edge of the thread squeezes the o-ring and the trailing edge is open and allows coolant to flow around it. Using plumbers tape on parrallel threaded barbs will put outward pressure on the threads reducing their effectiveness, possibly cracking the threaded holes on the rad and perhaps preventing the o-ring from sealing properly. Some folks have used sealant on the threads which will work however proper maintenance of the o-ring is all that is needed to get a watertight seal, like the taps in your house they form a seal with o-rings, replacing them and applying plumbers grease is the right way to keep you system in top shape and leak free. While you have the system open you may want to check and grease all the o-rings.
You cannot remove the o-rings without retapping the holes and changing the barbs because plumbers tape ONLY works on tapered threads.

It could also leak on the hose side. If you have enough hose cut a small section off, typicall 1/2 inch, and re-tighen the barb, the plastic in the hose will eventually break down and provide less of a seal and may leak.

p.s. yes your water cooled pc, like taps in your house, will eventually leak unless you take care of the o-rings.

Steve
Old February 20, 2009, 02:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't have a water cooling system yet but I have don'e my share of fittings be it for automatic transmissions or engines and I always,always use tethlon tape as well as the required o rings , now I am not sure if it is the same for water cooling a PC but I think that it is very similar
Old February 20, 2009, 02:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primu$ View Post
Hey,
I would recommend ALWAYS using plumbers PTFE tape its just an extra precaution, weather or not ur setup is tight (to your eye).
Try using some plumbers tape and see if it stops the leak and if you can, do you see any manufacturings defects like crack or breaks in the metal. If so I'd contact them for an RMA if possible.

Primu$
NEVER use teflon tape in a watercooling system AT ALL.

Get that train of thought gone and over with.

The barbs and o-rings are designed in such that the o-ring gives a perfect seal. You put teflon tape onto your threads and your going to introduce crap into your system you don't want.

If a barb is leaking with an o-ring either the threads are fubarred, the o-ring was crushed or you didn't tighten enough.
Old February 20, 2009, 02:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

Psst! This thread is almost an entire year old...
Old February 20, 2009, 02:44 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Teflon tape is ONLY for use on fittings where the thread is the seal. Anything with a pipe thread (special tapered thread designed to tighten to a complete seal). O-ring or flange type fittings have standard threads and will never form a complete seal no matter what you put on them. Adding teflon tape to these fittings in not only useless but you can get pieces of it into your loop.
Old February 20, 2009, 02:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Psst! This thread is almost an entire year old...
bah noobs.