Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 7, 2012, 09:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Water-Cooled 4P Opterons (build log)

I decided to put my overclocked 6128's under water. Fan noise from my H212's was getting rather annoying, and I just had the itch to get back into water. I'm not going for the cleanest, sharpest looking water-cooled build, but rather I'm trying to get the most functionality for the money. So there won't be any any nice compression fittings or cable sleeving, etc, etc.

Parts:

4x Danger Den Maze4 blocks with the G34 Acrylic faceplate & mounting hardware.
Swiftech 360mm Radiator and Swiftech micro Reservoir, mcp655-B pump.
3x CoolerMaster green LED 2000 RPM fans (I love these fans)
Black 3/8'' primochill tubing.
straight and angled fittings on order
coolant is probably going to end up being DI water with some sort of additive.
================================================== ================================================== =======

These are the blocks. The acrylic faceplate is about 1/4'' thick so I dont think it will crack when I tighten the mounting bolts.

...And here we have the rad, res, and pump "mounted". The res is mounted by just 4 bolts where the 200mm fan used to be. There are 120mm fan mounting holes there. It is surprisingly sturdy - I'm not worried about it coming off.

My plan is to use a 60 degree angled fitting to connect the pump to the res' outlet. That way I can have the pump somewhat hidden in the corner. Ill keep the plastic port on the inlet (The last waterblock will connect to it)

The res is mounted with the supplied mounting through some random holes in the fan grill. It isn't pretty, but it is sturdy and it works. The fans are oriented as intake fans pushing air through the rad into the case. I will have 2 140mm's exhausting air out the back. Normally I would exhaust the air from the rad out of the case, but I'm going to leave it like this for the time being and can always change later if case temps are poor.

res mounting front view.

Anyways, thats all for now. Will wait for the fittings to come and I will be able to finish this ''upgrade".
Old June 8, 2012, 06:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oooh, fun!

Since you have 4 CPU's, will you be looping them in series, parallel, or a combination? For example two processors looped in series, paralleled with another two. The only reason I ask is, if you loop them ALL in series, by the time the coolant hits the 4th CPU, won't it pretty much already be the temp of a running CPU?

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old June 8, 2012, 07:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My plan was to just do series to keep the loop as simple as possible. Just plumb in the blocks in series from top to bottom, then into the reservoir. But now that I think of it, I'm not sure how much the water will heat up as it passes through 3 cpu's and into the 4th. hmmm....

edit: This is more or less what it would be in series.

Old June 8, 2012, 07:55 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
Oooh, fun!

Since you have 4 CPU's, will you be looping them in series, parallel, or a combination? For example two processors looped in series, paralleled with another two. The only reason I ask is, if you loop them ALL in series, by the time the coolant hits the 4th CPU, won't it pretty much already be the temp of a running CPU?
Water temperature reaches equilibrium in a loop. Loop order doesn't mean a whole lot. The only benefit to parallel is increased flow. But his blocks are extremely high flow due to their simple design, he shouldn't have a problem w/ flow even when in series.
Old June 8, 2012, 08:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ahh, okay. I was just curious. I've never watercooled (but may do so in the future) and was just wondering if temperature increases from block to block would be an issue.

So, basically, water is a stable enough medium that once it reaches operating temperature it stays at that temp (more or less) throughout the entire loop?

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old June 8, 2012, 08:09 AM
MVP

My System Specs

its a HAF mod yes?
Old June 8, 2012, 08:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungwirez View Post
its a HAF mod yes?
yeah kinda. I removed the HDD cages a while back so the case is now just basically a metal box. The PCI slots I cut out as well to squeeze in an exhaust fan there too. Im not sure if I can classify it as a 'mod' or more of ''sqeezing things in as best I can because I chopped my case up and don't wanna buy another right now."
Old June 8, 2012, 11:56 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Awwww, no GT fans ;(
Old June 8, 2012, 12:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adzsask View Post
Awwww, no GT fans ;(
yeah no, these coolermaster's i've been buying for quite a while now. They move a heck of a lot of air and aren't too loud.
Old June 8, 2012, 12:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I find them obnoxiously loud, but then again my case isn't exactly made for silence.