Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Pump Vibration Dampener? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/54480-pump-vibration-dampener.html)

JoeOnePack June 4, 2012 03:55 PM

Pump Vibration Dampener?

Hey guys,

I am currently putting my watercooling setup together and wondered what you guys are using to dampen the vibration from your pumps? I will be using a Swiftech 655 pump and will be sitting on the bottom of my case connected to a Swiftech V2 resevoir directly above it.

I don't want to spend a fortune on something. I was thinking of fabbing something, but wasn't sure what you guys are using.

Any input is welcome.

Thanks!

Adzsask June 4, 2012 03:57 PM

4 rubber washers, or sme tape even to keep it on the cheap, I use washers to the extreme in my PC, makes quite a difference.

JoeOnePack June 4, 2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adzsask (Post 631858)
4 rubber washers, or sme tape even to keep it on the cheap, I use washers to the extreme in my PC, makes quite a difference.

Do you guys screw your pumps down? I see alot of pictures where the pump is just floating on a pad. Is it just placed on an adhesive pad?

I want to put my pump in a place where it is not flat. I guess I could just stack washers on one side to balance it out.

Rubber washer can be had at Home Depot?

Oh and what is SME tape?

Thanks!

Bungwirez June 4, 2012 05:42 PM

I've got dual DDC held inplace with 3M 4010..... tape of the gods baby.

JoeOnePack June 4, 2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bungwirez (Post 631890)
I've got dual DDC held inplace with 3M 4010..... tape of the gods baby.

So you are not using any dampening items on the pump or does the tape act as the vibration dampener?

Do you think that tape would hold a full resevoir on the side of my case? :D

lowfat June 4, 2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeOnePack (Post 631897)
So you are not using any dampening items on the pump or does the tape act as the vibration dampener?

Do you think that tape would hold a full resevoir on the side of my case? :D

No way I would ever suggest this. You are risking your entire computer if it falls.

But I have also used the 3M tape to hold and decouple a pump on the floor of the case. It works well enough.

JoeOnePack June 4, 2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 631898)
No way I would ever suggest this. You are risking your entire computer if it falls.

But I have also used the 3M tape to hold and decouple a pump on the floor of the case. It works well enough.

Haha... That's why I had the smiley there. I would actually try it... I don't think. :bleh:

What are those sponge like dampers people are using under their pumps?

SugarJ June 4, 2012 06:33 PM

I use Petra's Gel-Stuff - Petra's Tech Shop

Adzsask June 4, 2012 06:49 PM

i use two sided foam pads myself :) 4 per pump...lifeime of silence for $8

320 Self Adhesive Double Sided Foam White Pads 1.2cm x 2.5cm | eBay

JoeOnePack June 4, 2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarJ (Post 631905)
I use Petra's Gel-Stuff - Petra's Tech Shop

I like the Gel stuff, but the onyl problem is, I'm building my PC tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest. I won't have time to wait for this to arrive. Anywhere to get it in the GTA?

What about the White foam stuff? Can I pick this up somewhere instead of having it shipped?