Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 4, 2012, 05:23 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Scythe SLIP STREAM 120mm (1900rpm)

Looking at getting into a custom watercooling loop to cool my CPU.

I have a 2600K that I plan on OCing. I will be using the XSPC EX240 rad. Will the Scythe SLIP STREAM 120mm (1900rpm) fans perform good in a push pull configuration?

Thanks.

Jerry
Old June 4, 2012, 10:06 AM
MVP

My System Specs

the Scythe fans are fine.
on just cooling the CPU, push pull probably won't generate much of a temp difference.
but try them on in pre-fab and see how you like the noise.
If its tolerable and it fits well with your case, then giver.
Old June 4, 2012, 10:13 AM

My System Specs

Do you already have the fans? I would look towards other fans if you don't. If you do have them they should be sufficient though.
Old June 4, 2012, 10:13 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks, I was also looking at the GELID Wing 12 UV Blue (FN-FW12-15-B) 120mm These spin at 1500rpm with a CFM of 64.3 and 25 dBA at max speed where the slipstreams do 110.31 CFM at 37 dBA. I think the Scythe fans might be a little too loud.
Old June 4, 2012, 10:22 AM

My System Specs

How much are you looking to spend on fans? And where do you plan on buying them from?
Old June 4, 2012, 10:23 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Do you already have the fans? I would look towards other fans if you don't. If you do have them they should be sufficient though.
I haven't bought the fans yet. I haven't bought any of the gear yet.

It's been quite sometime since I looked into water cooling and I know stuff has changed. What would you recommend for pump?

For compression fittings what would you recommend Bitspower, Feser or EK?
Old June 4, 2012, 10:24 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
How much are you looking to spend on fans? And where do you plan on buying them from?
I will spend up to $20.00 per fan. I plan on buying them either here in Ottawa at Canada Computers or from DazMode where I plan on ordering the rest of the gear from.
Old June 4, 2012, 10:30 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overclocking.ca View Post
I haven't bought the fans yet. I haven't bought any of the gear yet.

It's been quite sometime since I looked into water cooling and I know stuff has changed. What would you recommend for pump?

For compression fittings what would you recommend Bitspower, Feser or EK?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overclocking.ca View Post
I will spend up to $20.00 per fan. I plan on buying them either here in Ottawa at Canada Computers or from DazMode where I plan on ordering the rest of the gear from.
Daz sells Scythe Gentle Typhoons and has them in stock for $19.99 each. You don't need push pull so just grab 2 for the radiator. Whatever RPM you think you can handle (in terms of noise).

For a pump I can't suggest anything besides the Swiftech MCP35X anymore. Having PWM gives it such an edge over every other pump out there. Plus the fact that it is more powerful than any other sub-$100 pump.

As for fittings, just buy whatever is in your budget and the design you like best. I like Koolance for compressions since they are generally lower profile.
Old June 4, 2012, 10:42 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Lowfat,

Thanks for the advice.

For liquid do you recommend just distilled water? I was going to get this tubing: Feser Tube Hose - 3/8 ID - 1/2 OD - CLEAR/UV BLUE (1') - Feser Tube Hose - 3/8 ID - 1/2 OD - CLEAR/UV BLUE [Feser Tube UV Hose 3/8ID-1/2OD] - $1.99 : DazMode PC Watercooling Gear, Canadian Best PC Watercooling and Modding Store
Old June 4, 2012, 11:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Daz sells Scythe Gentle Typhoons and has them in stock for $19.99 each. You don't need push pull so just grab 2 for the radiator. Whatever RPM you think you can handle (in terms of noise).

For a pump I can't suggest anything besides the Swiftech MCP35X anymore. Having PWM gives it such an edge over every other pump out there. Plus the fact that it is more powerful than any other sub-$100 pump.

As for fittings, just buy whatever is in your budget and the design you like best. I like Koolance for compressions since they are generally lower profile.
Hey lowfat, even above the D5 pump? But I'll give it to Swiftech to move away from their old housing and come up with 1/4" threads for actual fittings, smart move.. I have a D5, and now you're making me sell that and get the mcp35x and buying a tube res to add to it.. gotta buy a freaking top for this d5

I would go for Primochill tubing over Feser, bend radius and it really is higher quality
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution