Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 12, 2012, 08:55 AM
Rookie

Default Thoughts and advice for watercooling would be appreciated.

I am taking the plunge into the word of watercooling. I have read many, many articles so far and my head hurts. I would appreciate any advice / ideas you guys could throw my way. I have never done watercooling but I would like to do it, and do it right the first time. Here is are some specs of what I will be using. My objective is to water cool the CPU and GPU's.
I HAVE
1. 2600k OC to 4.8gz
2. Motherboard?? (waiting for the release of the maximus v formula)
3. OCZ Gold 850 watt PSU
4. Lian Li PC-80B case
5. Video (undecided but would like the ability to watercool dual gpu's in the future)

Here is a system I came across today and was wondering if anyone has this and how it performs, or any thoughts on it. Is it too good to be true?
Aquacomputer Airplex Modularity System

I have also been looking at the XSPC RASA kits with the RX360 rad.

I appreciate and feedback whether it be negative or positive to help steer me in the right direction. One more thing. If anyone could shed some light on what size tubing id /od and compression fittings id / od that would match up with the tubing that would also be appreciated. I can't seem to comprehend it for the life of me.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Old May 12, 2012, 12:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

The Airplex rads are all flash and show. While I am sure they perform just as well and on par as the others, your paying for the look of them. You paying a premium for all the extra work that goes into them... which is all machine work and not even "man-hours"

Tubing and compressions fittings are pretty much self-explanatory. If the tube is 1/2" x 3/4", it will only fit on a 1/2" x 3/4" compression fitting. Just match the numbers up

Last edited by AmuseMe; May 12, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old May 12, 2012, 12:12 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
The Airplex rads are all flash and show. While I am sure they perform just as well and on par as the others, your paying for the look of them.
Werd. They are about 3-4 times the price of other manufacturers for comparable performance.
Old May 12, 2012, 01:24 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

RX 360 kit for sure, price/performance can't be matched with this kit(coming from a RASA RX360 kit user), though the raystorm kits come with a stronger pump, and better tubing for not much more.
Old May 12, 2012, 09:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

This is not an entry level rad nor will it give you much value for your dollar. If someone were wanting to use pure aquacomputer stuff this rad is pretty cool with all the upgrades.

For yourself look @ those xspc rads; they're great value and great performance.
Old May 13, 2012, 01:52 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

better go with les expencive rad but only if you want to use the different input and output of the aquacomputer rad
remamber the delta temperature will be no more than 2 or 3 deg
Old May 13, 2012, 08:03 AM
Rookie

Thanks guys. I will take your advice and go with RX360. Just a couple more questions for you guys if you don't mind.
1.Do you think the RX360 would handle the CPU, GPU's and chipset or do I need more rad in your opinion.
2.Also my understanding is that I should use a higher restriction in stead of high flow as I will use multiple blocks, am I correct on this?
3.I would like to use a 250mm clyinder resevoir, what pump (or pump top combination) would you recommend for my needs in terms of reliability, stability or brand name?

Thanks again so much for time and help.
Old May 13, 2012, 08:24 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Thanks guys. I will take your advice and go with RX360. Just a couple more questions for you guys if you don't mind.
1.Do you think the RX360 would handle the CPU, GPU's and chipset or do I need more rad in your opinion.
2.Also my understanding is that I should use a higher restriction in stead of high flow as I will use multiple blocks, am I correct on this?
3.I would like to use a 250mm clyinder resevoir, what pump (or pump top combination) would you recommend for my needs in terms of reliability, stability or brand name?

Thanks again so much for time and help.
You are way way over-complicating things, start with a 360mm rad kit, then go from there, you don't just go spend a grand on everything the custom loops you have seen in pictures have, start simple believe me.
Old May 13, 2012, 09:50 AM
MVP

My System Specs

X2 on what AD said thats what I did and the performance is great. Once you understand custom water loops a bit better experiment
Old May 13, 2012, 11:14 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Martin of Martins Liquid Labs just reviews it, pretty ho hum performance if you ask me

Aquacomputer Airplex Modularity AMS Copper 360 Radiator martinsliquidlab.org
Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Intel i7 3930k | Crucial 4x4Gb | OCZ Vertex 3 MaxIOPS 240GB | WD Velociraptor 1TB | Nvidia 680GTX SLI | Win8 Pro 64 | EK Supremecy | 2 x Alphacool XT45 360 | 2x EK - FC680 | 2x Liang DDC 3.25 | Swiftech Malestorm Res | Case Labs M8 |

Tags
liquid cooled , liquid cooling , water cooling , watercooling