Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 12, 2012, 06:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default water chiller ?

ok well if the offer on are house falls through i will be putting a water chiller in a loop i want to get people opinions here on what one to use and where to get it from for a good price so please lets talk about add a water chiller to your cooling loop
Old May 12, 2012, 09:23 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

If I had money to spare, I would grab myself a nice pre made unit like this one :)
Hailea HC-500A Water Chiller Review | bit-tech.net
Old May 12, 2012, 09:35 AM

My System Specs

You could make yourself one for about $50. Go to a pawn shop and find an older window air conditioner. Remove casing. Slowly and carefully bend the evaporator piping so you can submerge the evaporator in to some sort of reservoir for your coolant. But honestly I wouldn't bother w/ a chiller. Modern CPUs and GPUs don't scale as well as they use to w/ extreme cold.

Last edited by lowfat; May 12, 2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old May 12, 2012, 09:37 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
You could make yourself one for about $50. Go to a pawn shop and find an older window air conditioner. Remove casing. Slowly and carefully bend the condenser piping so you can submerge the condenser in to some sort of reservoir for your coolant. But honestly I wouldn't bother w/ a chiller. Modern CPUs and GPUs don't scale as well as they use to w/ extreme cold.
All the more reason to use a chiller, keep everything at 30C to maximize overclock, without going sub zero.
Old May 12, 2012, 10:14 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adzsask View Post
All the more reason to use a chiller, keep everything at 30C to maximize overclock, without going sub zero.
It won't gain you any MHz really though. Not w/ Sandy Bridge or most newer videocards. Plus there is the fact that it will be rather loud. In something like a computer the compressor is going to be 24/7. Plus the fans on the condenser are going to be loud.
Old May 12, 2012, 03:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya but it might allow me to push my 3770k to it's limits i just dont want to pay 1000$ for a water chiller
Old May 12, 2012, 04:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

your also missing that the chiller will suck alot of hydro and need to freeze protect for most evap coils hit below freeze point another thing is condensation control
Old May 12, 2012, 05:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

nope i have thought about all of this i dont pay hydro right now and i am doing subzero with dice now so i am pretty good easier then the dice and a pot
Old May 14, 2012, 05:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat
You could make yourself one for about $50. Go to a pawn shop and find an older window air conditioner. Remove casing. Slowly and carefully bend the condenser piping so you can submerge the condenser in to some sort of reservoir for your coolant. But honestly I wouldn't bother w/ a chiller. Modern CPUs and GPUs don't scale as well as they use to w/ extreme cold.
ah i see early morning dew not a problem with this set-up for Evap does the chilling and condensor exspells heat

gingerbee

you still need to freeze protect and insulate WB's from dew with Hailea HC-500A Water Chiller or AC

best use pet safe anti-freeze mixed for -20c and set-up relays for 1 button starting/run pumps/fans
Old May 14, 2012, 04:17 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
ah i see early morning dew not a problem with this set-up for Evap does the chilling and condensor exspells heat

gingerbee

you still need to freeze protect and insulate WB's from dew with Hailea HC-500A Water Chiller or AC

best use pet safe anti-freeze mixed for -20c and set-up relays for 1 button starting/run pumps/fans
You still need to protect against condensation w/ the modified air conditioner. You could see coolant temps below freezing no problem.