Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 4, 2007, 04:01 PM
Rookie

Here's a question. Does Arctic Silver go bad. I have a small tube of it I bought when I built my current PC 3 years ago. It's been in the fridge since then. Think it's still good or should I get a new one?
Old May 4, 2007, 04:22 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwings View Post
Here's a question. Does Arctic Silver go bad. I have a small tube of it I bought when I built my current PC 3 years ago. It's been in the fridge since then. Think it's still good or should I get a new one?
I had mine in a drawer for a year and just used some and it was fine. I would probably let it get to room temp. before using it though.
Old May 4, 2007, 05:27 PM
Rookie

Yeah I'll definitely warm it up. I just put it in the fridge cause the instructions said to do that.
Old May 5, 2007, 06:34 PM
Misoprostol

It separates, so you may want to move the plunger around a bit to mix it. In future store it in the fridge and you should be fine.
Old June 10, 2007, 06:32 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

ok, here's the thing.
i bought this
Freezone CPU Cooler - CoolIT Systems
now, aside from being hung up on vid card selection (GTX vs. GTS), i need to know if there are stand alone GPU liquid coolers out there without having to have a whole convoluted set-up just for the video card(s) ?
do GTX's really require liquid cooling? or you guys think i can get away with air on a GTX?
Old June 10, 2007, 06:43 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Thermaltake Tide Water Plus All-in-One Dual VGA Liquid Cooling Unit (nVidia & ATI) (CL-W0086) - FrozenCPU.com

comments/recommendations ?
Old June 10, 2007, 08:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unklmo View Post
ok, here's the thing.
i bought this
Freezone CPU Cooler - CoolIT Systems
now, aside from being hung up on vid card selection (GTX vs. GTS), i need to know if there are stand alone GPU liquid coolers out there without having to have a whole convoluted set-up just for the video card(s) ?
do GTX's really require liquid cooling? or you guys think i can get away with air on a GTX?
Any vid card should be fine right out of the box with stock cooling. Water cooling will improve your ability to overclock the vid card, but it's certainly not an absolute necessity.

Since you are looking at a stand-alone solution, my choice would be to hold off until you get everything else up an running with stock cooling installed.

This would give you a better feel for what your vid card cooling needs might be.

You may even find that you'd like to water cool your chipset, in which case you would probably be well served by a good 120mm rad system which could cool both your vid card and your chipset.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 10, 2007, 09:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Does Coolit have one of these for the 8800s? I imagine they soon will if they don't already.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/press...xt-x-fire.html
Old June 10, 2007, 03:22 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

yeah, i know i should wait until i at least get everything together and running first
C'mon June 22 !!!
i'm just trying to part/prep it together as much as possible before before hand. just did a Costco order, , there went my mobo
anyhoo, back to my other query, GTX or GTS ?
and no, i am not gonna drop a grand on 1 card.
Old July 11, 2007, 01:16 PM
Top Prospect

Default help me!!

Ok, I am totally new to watercooling. I have a few questions before my gear arrives..

I bought the H20-220 Ultra+ Swiftech Kit and a MCW30 chipset block.
basically a 2x120mm rad with radbox, laing d5 pump, apogee gt waterblock 2 delta fans and a micro res... I wanted a kit with a good pump so i dont have to buy a new pump in the future and this one seems to fit the budget..

I am not a gamer so no need to cool a video card.

I plan to route it like this:
pump (bottom of case) -> CPU Block -> chipset block -> res - > pump

now I am assuming that this is the best route.. if anyone can give input that would be great. I read somewhere that certain routing makes bleeding easier..

Also, I plan to hang the rad off the back of the case with the radbox.. but i have read that the fans are best placed about an inch from the rad.. it looks like the fans bolt right onto the rad. should i build a shroud or am i just paranoid.

All this will be cooling a E6420 at hopefully 3.5ghz.. i have a volt hungry cpu so i hope it can even go that high.

also, I may mod the top of the case to hold the rad, now will that cause a problem with the res being lower?

Last edited by Somed00d; July 11, 2007 at 01:56 PM.