Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 26, 2007, 03:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, the crack started at one of the fittings.

They're going to replace the block, but if the vid card is toast I'll eat that myself.

Still haven't had a chance to clean up the vid card (I've got access to a good electrical parts cleaner at work but I was off sick today).

Counting on the "bad luck comes in threes" theory I'm counting on the vid card being toast.

Young lad's computer stopped posting on friday, cpu block & vid card would count as three..... :(

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 26, 2007, 03:46 PM
Misoprostol

I'd highly recommend picking up a real CPU block instead of using the Thermaltake replacement. The D-tek FuZion is an awesome price at NCIX.com.
Old February 26, 2007, 04:01 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misoprostol View Post
I'd highly recommend picking up a real CPU block instead of using the Thermaltake replacement. The D-tek FuZion is an awesome price at NCIX.com.
After hearing of your misfortune sswilson I find myself inspecting the block on my Tt setup every time I walk by it. I agree with Misoprostol, and I will be saving for a replacement block (non Tt). It's just not worth the worry and possible destruction of my system.
Silverstone Strider 1kw modular
4870x2
Ocz Vendetta 2
Top deck Tech Station
Samsung dvd

Last edited by cdn_Madrach; February 26, 2007 at 04:58 PM. Reason: I was mistakin, my bad.
Old March 11, 2007, 02:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizerkozak View Post
Lets see...

It controls all the fans, the lights and the pump.
I hated all the stupid conectors you would have laying around the case so i chooped them all off and wired everything directly into the control panel...it distributs the power out from there.This way i can dim the lights and lower & raise the fan speeds as i need to.
I'm assuming you wired your cold cathodes to the switches. To do this, do you connect the +/- wires from the voltage inverter to the fan controller switch and chop off the molex?

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old March 12, 2007, 05:54 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misoprostol View Post
Amen to that, although I recommend going elsewhere for WC supplies, like PTS or Performance PC's. Sidewinder Computers and Frozen CPU are also good choices.

Brendan
Old March 24, 2007, 03:42 PM
Misoprostol

what makes you say they're better? Most of us on the forum are up in Canada, so we're going to get dinged with customs fees if we order from the USA, and potentially much longer shipping if customs decided to hold the package for whatever reason....

IMO NCIX has the best water cooling selection in Canada (by far).
Old May 3, 2007, 09:06 AM
Rookie

I'm putting together a new PC with quite a few liquid cooled components. I could use some suggestions on a couple parts namely rad, pump, size of tubing, and reservoir.

Here's the components I'm installing.

E6700 intel - plan on using a Fuzion waterblock
4 sticks of OCZ PC6400 Flex liquid cooled RAM
ASUS Striker Extreme mobo - Having second thoughts, might get a different board
BFG 8800GTX liquid cooled edition video card - comes with DD's 8800 water block pre-installed by BFG

I'm using a Thermaltake Kandalf LCS case which is huge so room is probably not an issue. Also the liquid cooling system that comes with it is being taken out cause I want better components.

All suggestions will be taken and appreciated.
Old May 3, 2007, 09:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The fuzion is a good choice- Here's Misoprostol's review.
If you're going to liquid cool four sticks of RAM, and the northbridge (which is a good idea with the 680i), you might consider two loops- that full coverage GPU blobk will add a fair amount of heat to the line.

If I wanted watercooled RAM, I would get two sticks of pc8500 flex when it goes on sale instead of the four. Four sticks is less stable than two, so you won't have as much success overclocking the memory.

Only Vista 64 bit can take advantage of 4GB RAM, and who wants to run that? Another option, if you really want 4GB, is looking into 2X2GB kits- they are getting cheaper and have better latencies than they did a couple of months ago.

You might be best off to keep the WC kit in the case and just run the CPU from it, and then run everything else off your custom setup- maybe change the CPU waterblock if you want.

I would also probably have second thought on the striker- there are better 680is to get.
Old May 3, 2007, 06:09 PM
Rookie

Ok excuse my ignorance but what's the problem with Vista 64 bit? After I upgraded my XP PCI'm using now, I ordered the 64 bit upgrade disk from MS that was mentioned in a pamphlet that came with the Vista upgrade. I haven't got around to installing it yet though. Is there issues with the 64 bit version?

A couple other things. What are the best rads on the market considering the case I got has a triple so it can be replaced with a triple if need be. Also suggestions on a smaller one for a second loop.

And I've been looking at reservoirs and was wondering if the D-tek bay res's are any good. If not, which ones are?
Old May 3, 2007, 06:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I guess the biggest annoyance for gamers has been he lack of graphics driver that work well with Vista 64, although that seems to be improving lately, but otherwise, sofware isn't being optimized for 64 and it won't be until it reaches mainstream, which may never happen, given MS's life expectancy for Vista. Just google and look at the grievances with Vista in general, but especially Vista 64 - I do think the anti-Vista sentiment is overblown, but XP still performs better. We'll see what happens with the DX10 games coming out this year.
Just some google results- haven't read them but just to give you an idea.
Adobe Forums - Problems with Vista 64 bit edition
Zend.com Forums: Zend Studio => Major Problems in Vista x64
Problems with Vista x64 Ultimate -- robert@...'s comment on "Windows Vista's three killer features" | TalkBack on ZDNet
Roxio Community > MyDVD Premier 8 - Problems with Vista 64-bit OS
Matevz Gacnik's Weblog - The curse of Vista x64

As for best rads, I would say the Thermochill PA series, or the HW Labs Black Ice GT-Xtreme. Check out my nooby WC build log/guide here. I would recommend that you be sure to get fans that are suited to your needs too.

As for resevoirs- maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I would say to go for whatever one you like the look and price of, and that best fits the spatial constraints of your case.