Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 11, 2007, 01:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The fridge will remain fully functional for my beer cooler as well as double as CPU and NB cooler. Should be interesting. I will try to post diagrams soon. I don't even know how efficient this rig will be.
Old February 11, 2007, 01:38 PM
Top Prospect

Please Google the idea and read up on the idea before spending any money :) I thought about the small fridge idea about a year ago and can't recall exactly the technical reasons why but the idea didn't come out as favorable.

Here is a link to just a small start on the subject http://www.overclock.net/faqs/105345...pc-cooler.html
Old February 11, 2007, 02:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

OMG. I can't believe someone would actually place their pc in a fridge or freezer. No wonder it won't work. there is no way a fridge can remove that amount of heat. cpu, gpu, nb, sb, hd, psu etc... I was thinking more along the lines of using the fridge to chill the coolant. Place a 2-3 litre reservoir of coolant in the fridge, coil the lines on the inside of the fridge wall, then pipe it to the cpu. Does that sound feasible?
Old February 14, 2007, 11:20 PM
Misoprostol

No it's not feasable. A CPU outputs as much as 150-200 watts. Fridges are not designed for constant heat load, but rather intermittent operation. Your compressor would burn out in no time.
Old February 18, 2007, 05:32 PM
Allstar

Just curious whether or not the thermal compound that comes with swiftech water blocks is good or would it be better to use arctic silver, reg or ceramic?
Silverstone Strider 1kw modular
4870x2
Ocz Vendetta 2
Top deck Tech Station
Samsung dvd
Old February 19, 2007, 08:09 AM
Misoprostol

The goop that comes with Swiftech (and Danger Den for that matter) blocks is Ceramique.
Old February 22, 2007, 06:45 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misoprostol View Post
The goop that comes with Swiftech (and Danger Den for that matter) blocks is Ceramique.
Thanks. I do have another question for you. I read your review of cpu water blocks and noticed you used one set of barbs and was wondering if they were danger den chrome ones? I have all swiftech blocks and read that some barbs won't fit correctly. I would like to use chrome barbs but cant seem to find swiftech ones. Will the danger den ones work?
4870x2
Ocz Vendetta 2
Top deck Tech Station
Samsung dvd
Old February 23, 2007, 11:00 AM
Misoprostol

yeah they were Danger Den perfect seal barbs. In my experience G1/4 barbs work just fine in Swiftech blocks. Just make sure you thread them in straight and use an O-ring and it shouldn't be a problem.
Old February 23, 2007, 11:57 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misoprostol View Post
yeah they were Danger Den perfect seal barbs. In my experience G1/4 barbs work just fine in Swiftech blocks. Just make sure you thread them in straight and use an O-ring and it shouldn't be a problem.
Ok thanks. One more question honest lol. Which would you recomend the high flow fittings(which seem to have longer barbs) or the perfect seal.
4870x2
Ocz Vendetta 2
Top deck Tech Station
Samsung dvd
Old February 24, 2007, 11:58 AM
Misoprostol

Personally I like the perfect seal barbs simply because the actual inner diameter of both is exactly the same. High flow barbs is just a marketing term. They both flow the same. All the guys I know at Danger Den use perfect seal. They're just better.