Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2, 2012, 08:07 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default cooling unit in the way

Hi guys I have a water cooling unit that is set up in a push/pull configuration. I recently noticed a temperature change when gaming and higher fan speeds when gaming on my video card. This happened when I changed the airflow from going out to going in. I noticed a significant decrease in cpu temps but increase in gpu temps. I was thinking about taking off either the back fan or front fan to make way for a 200mm fan that will blow on the gpu. I dont like my fan setup because I have 2 120mm fans that are blowing on 2 7200 rpm hard drives. I dont like that hard drive cooling even exists because with my experience hdd's don not get very hot at all. But hey I dont have all the hdd bays full. Anyway no air is getting on my card and was wondering how big the impact on my cpu would be if I took one fan away. I will have two 200mm on top pushing heat out and 2 120mm fans blowing on the hdd's. I would buy a 140mm to go on the front but I think that would be a waste as it couldnt get to any other components.
Old May 2, 2012, 08:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So I take it that you cpu is water cooled but the GPU isn't? is that is the case , what I did with mine was actually have another fan blowing air directly at my GPU so I think that in your case the cool air coming in isn't getting to your GPU but the warmer air is
Old May 2, 2012, 10:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'd just set your top fans as intake and set your rear fans (cooler) to exhaust. You'll be cycling air in the upper half of the case, but your CPU temps will still be good without killing your case temps.
Old May 2, 2012, 11:03 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

ok, say i was going to sacrifice 1 cpu fan, would it be the front one or the back one. Common sense to me would be the front most fan. I think the only way to be for sure is just buying the fan, taking off one cpu fan and just compare the temps. Has anyone thought of actually putting a fan outside of the case and having the rad on the case? Get what i mean? If I get enormous drops in temps and only about say 5 degree cpu temp increase It would be fine. It runs cool right now and im probably going to upgrade to an h80. Im going to get nzxt's jet engine but high airflow 200mm fan. 166 cfm but 37.25 dba Im not a silent computer freak because when gaming the noise from the computer doesnt bother you especially with noise canceling surround sound head phones on. I also dont have the computer in my room and sleep with it on. I will try it out soon and tell you how it goes but if you have any other ideas post them. I will try them all.

I dont think i posted my case and if you didnt look at the specs its an nzxt phantom.
Old May 4, 2012, 03:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

if you have room you can totally put the fan on the outside then rad to case and another fan on the rad. Your case doesnt have a side fan?
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.