Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 14, 2012, 09:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Cool air IN,or hot air OUT???

I need to know,once and for all,how to properly diect air through the rad of a liquid cooler. I bought the Antec H20 920 liquid cooler,and everything I read about how to install it,insist on the rad fans exhausting air through the rad and out of your case. That would seem to exhaust hot air from the case,with that hot air going through the rad. Other people insist on reversing the fans, to draw cool outside air IN through the rad. Which way is really the best and most efficient? There must be a reason Antec wants the rad fans exhausting air,rather than pulling air. Is it just Antec? Can anyone tell me the absolute proper way to install this thing?? Thanks all.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old April 14, 2012, 09:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
I need to know,once and for all,how to properly diect air through the rad of a liquid cooler. I bought the Antec H20 920 liquid cooler,and everything I read about how to install it,insist on the rad fans exhausting air through the rad and out of your case. That would seem to exhaust hot air from the case,with that hot air going through the rad. Other people insist on reversing the fans, to draw cool outside air IN through the rad. Which way is really the best and most efficient? There must be a reason Antec wants the rad fans exhausting air,rather than pulling air. Is it just Antec? Can anyone tell me the absolute proper way to install this thing?? Thanks all.
Inside Out always.
Old April 14, 2012, 09:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

For best performance you want the coldest air going into the rad. This will dump warm air into your case, but if you have adequate cooling in your case, I wouldn't worry.

Honestly, the difference in temperature will be fairly minimal I'd guess 2C at the most

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
Old April 14, 2012, 09:36 AM

My System Specs

If at all possible you want to be pulling cool air in to the radiator like xilocient said. Try both out if possible to see how much of a difference there is.
Old April 14, 2012, 10:19 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I ran my top mount in the cosmos s exhausting air from the inside to the outside as that's the natural airflow for the case. That said... it was a full 6 fan push/pull which kept the air flowing pretty well.

In the TT case I'm currently running, I wasn't able to do a push/pull for maximized airflow, and at the same time I'm running a couple of vid cards which exhaust some of their heat into the case which would have ended up being drawn up into the rad. Because of that, I decided to go the other route and draw fresh air in from the top. The downside of this is that it creates a strongly overpressured airflow which (IMO) can cause less airflow over motherboard components as opposed to a more balanced in/out airflow.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 14, 2012, 11:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I called Antec support,and the tech I spoke to was adament,that the configuration is to allow air from inside the case to flow out through the rad. He said that,although it is possible to reverse the rad fans,it is not advised as the unit is designed to have the rad exhaust inside air out through the back,top or bottom of a case. Depending on the design of the case. He added that, the recommended set up will also exhaust heated air from the rest of the case. The tech also said,by reversing the fans,everything else in the case will be hotter by a considerable margin. I have the Corsair H80 in my case right now. Killswitch installed it for me,and at first we had the rad fans blowing air out through the rad at the back of my case. I thought the temps were a bit high,so Killswitch again came to my rescue. He reversed the rad fans to bring cool air into the case,through the rad at the rear of the case. My temps dropped by almost 10c. My Video card temps however,did rise qutie a bit. Killswitch convinced me to use a tool to allow changing the Video fan speeds. I used Nvidia Inspector,ran the fans at 70%,and the temps did indeed drop to more tolerable levels when gaming. It seems you win one way,but lose the other way. In spite of the info from the Antec tech guy,I STILL don't really know what's best. I know my buddy will put the cooler in any way I want it,but I would like to make it easier on him as well. I need more input guys. Please help. Thanks to all.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old April 14, 2012, 12:29 PM
Allstar

Now you know why many gung-ho liquid cooling affcianados put the radiator outside the case entirely. It provides the best of both worlds, though complicating the mechanical setup somewhat.

If you can fairly easily exhaust the excess warm air, and minimize its flow over other components, then cool into the rad is a good solution. If your airflow options are minimal then accepting slightly warmer case air through he rad to be exhausted out is preferable (imho) to adding additional heating to other internal components.
Old April 14, 2012, 01:25 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

My RAD used to be up top sucking warm air out of the case, mounted externally now, dropped load temps 4C, also only push fans now, was push/pull when up top.
Old April 14, 2012, 01:52 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Best really depends on the adequacy of the cooling for the rest of your case, and which components your consider the priority to maximize cooling. Same rules as when picking a graphics card cooler design -- lousy case cooling, pick a design which routes the exhaust of the case; good case cooling, go for an open heatsink which dumps the exhaust into the case.
Old April 14, 2012, 02:09 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I've tried both and never noticed a lick of difference. I run mine blowing out of the rads now and have filters on my intake fans. This keeps my rads clean.
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011