Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11, 2012, 09:07 PM
Top Prospect

Default VReg cooling?

Ever since I've gotten into watercooling, keeping the temp of the NB in check has been a problem. It overheats from time to time now, and it's driving me crazy.

I'm thinking of picking up a NB block and put it into my loop. The only problem is that would leave the VRMs uncooled because the NB heatsink is connected to the VRM heatsink via a heatpipe.

Since the board is pretty obscure, there is a fat chance of finding a compatible VRM block. Since you guys have been in the watercooling scene for awhile, what would you guys suggest?

Here's a rough shot of what my system looks like now (please ignore the tube clouding lol)

Last edited by geoc; April 11, 2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old April 11, 2012, 09:12 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I had the same problem when I swapped my silver arrow for a loop, I strapped a 120mm fan I had laying around from the PSU support brace in my case with a zip tie, looks like crap but dropped chipset temps like 20C without it. A cleaner looking option would be one of these
Buy ANTEC [SPOT COOL] Antec Spot Cool Adjustable System Cooler Blue LED 3 Speed 2000-3000RPM 23-33DBA 15-22CFM
Old April 11, 2012, 09:16 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adzsask View Post
I had the same problem when I swapped my silver arrow for a loop, I strapped a 120mm fan I had laying around from the PSU support brace in my case with a zip tie, looks like crap but dropped chipset temps like 20C without it. A cleaner looking option would be one of these
Buy ANTEC [SPOT COOL] Antec Spot Cool Adjustable System Cooler Blue LED 3 Speed 2000-3000RPM 23-33DBA 15-22CFM

Yea, that's what I'm trying to avoid, no fans anywhere except on the radiators. You can see that i have a 80mm fan strapped on right now, but it looks like crap
Old April 11, 2012, 09:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoc View Post
Yea, that's what I'm trying to avoid, no fans anywhere except on the radiators. You can see that i have a 80mm fan strapped on right now, but it looks like crap
Ya I feel you, only cure is a mobo that supports a full cover WB, or compromising and adding another fan.
Old April 11, 2012, 09:27 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adzsask View Post
Ya I feel you, only cure is a mobo that supports a full cover WB, or compromising and adding another fan.
Swapping out a mobo for the sake of looking good... man water cooling is an expensive hobby
Old April 11, 2012, 09:41 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoc View Post
Swapping out a mobo for the sake of looking good... man water cooling is an expensive hobby
Yes, try looking for a copper 480 full cover block lol, discontinued, you would think it would have dropped in price? nope, any left in stores are marked up to cost more then any new WB, even 2 cored blocks are cheaper... going to end up pulling the vapor chamber on my card and leaving the fan/unisink/shroud on, just run the tubing through the hole in the side where the heatpipes used to live to a universal GPU block. Then there's those fancy $20 a piece fans that are super quiet but still move lots of air...water cooling is like having an expensive mistress hahaha.
Old April 12, 2012, 02:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Are any of your radiators blowing hot air onto your motherboard? The cpu and one video card should be able to be cooled with just the dual rad. With a proper intake fan on the bottom of your case (where the 120mm is) and the cpu exhaust fan doing its job it should get air onto your northbridge heatsinks.

That said, i believe koolance does make vrm heatsinks that might do the job on basically any board if you take your time, put extra plates on where needed and even put on some copper fins if you can't touch everywhere.
Old April 12, 2012, 10:11 PM
Top Prospect

Actually the 120mm fans you see are exhausting hot air out of the case, there are two 120mm fans up front for intake (you can't see them in the shot)