Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 24, 2012, 05:47 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Changing to a different coolant need some advice

Hey guys, So I have been using EK Blood red Coolant for a while, and decided to try out Nanoxia UV Red coolant cuz I just bought a frozenQ liquid fusion res.

Is there any specific way that you have done before in the past to completely clear out the remaining Blood red coolant in the waterblocks ?

So far what im planning to do is drain the blood red as much as i can, fill the loop with the new coolant while draining the liquid coming out from the end of the loop until it looks pretty clean.

My method will definitely waste some of the new coolant.

Do you guys have any advice for me?
Old March 24, 2012, 01:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

flush it out with distilledwater before new fluid filled, if handy with tools and have spare block seals, open blocks to inspect them before new fluid
Old March 24, 2012, 08:05 PM
Rookie

Definitely flush your system with just distilled water 1 or 2 times before putting the new fluid in. If you have been running your system over a year, opening your blocks to see if there's gunk from the colored coolant is recommended.
Old March 25, 2012, 03:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Would flushing with demineralized water will be fine? Cuz I can't seem to find any distilled water here just yet in Western Australia, tried auto shop, super markets.
Super markets here only sells mineral water, and all I can find from the auto shop is demineralized water..
Old March 25, 2012, 05:50 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Try the local pharmacy. Demineralized or distilled water should work fine. Alternatively if you know of someone that works in a science lab, they probably have access to some demineralized water.
Old March 25, 2012, 06:39 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

yeah I've got some demineralized water today, but then I just found out that it's different compared to distilled, and some sites said that distilled is being further purified... So you reckon flushing with demineralized water will be just fine?
Old March 25, 2012, 11:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

I suggest completely dismantle loop and and make sure you get rid of all old coolant. If you flash assembled system some liquid is always trapped. This is something you do not want to skip on, because if two products woudl react, cleaning your parts is MUCH bigger pain, then disassembling.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old March 25, 2012, 09:18 PM
Top Prospect

Take apart your blocks. More than likely gunk in them from the coolant.