Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Haf X Water Cooling Loop Concept (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/52562-haf-x-water-cooling-loop-concept.html)

Chomie March 20, 2012 01:04 AM

Haf X Water Cooling Loop Concept

Hello All!

I am brand new to forums/building/modding/water cooling but I have decided to change all of those at once.
I have been on these forums, youtube, and other forums, absorbing everything I can about build specifications, loops, the steps, and ideas and have put all of the knowledge I have gained into a concept that's been building in my mind for month's now.

What I need now is for other's who have been there, done that, to assess what I have come up with and deem it plausible.

Below are hopefully Google Sketchup Drawing's that I have created showing my loop design and somewhat the structure of my build (** Please note that I am using other people's drawing's taken from Here
And since not every component can be drawn I have used the closest resemblance of each part, the goal of this thread is to determine if my loop will work. **Also note that my motherboard is the EVGA Z68 FTW and will not include a block like it shows with the classified. I just used that board to match my color scheme (Red White Black)

Computer Components:
Case: Cooler Master Haf X
Motherboard: EVGA Z68 FTW
Processor (CPU): Intel Core i7-2600k **Until I see what Ivy Bridge holds!**
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (Black)
Video Card (GPU): Nvidia GTX 580 3GB or Asus Radeon HD 7970 or GTX 680 Depending on how the battle pans out!
Power Supply (PSU): Corsair Professional HX1050 **I think 1200W is too much??**
Fan Controller: Zalman ZM-FX1 Combo Fan Controller
DVD Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST

Loop Components:
Reservoir: Koolance RP-452X2 Rev 2.0 Dual 5.25"
Radiators: XSPC RX360 and XSPC RX240
CPU Block: XSPC RayStorm
Pumps (x2?): Dazmode STORM D5 VARIO 8-24V ** Supposedly these are the same as the Koolance or Swiftech D5 Pumps? Just cheaper?
GPU Block: To be determined base on GTX 680 reviews, I will either be going a single GTX 680 or single Radeon 7970 for the time being with the ability to upgrade to a second card (hence the somewhat overkill setup) later down the road.
Connectors: Bitspower (Black) (Compression) **See cost chart below for detailed selection**
Tubing: PrimoChill Primoflex Pro LRT UV Red 1/2" ID - 3/4" OD Tubing
Fans: Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850RPM

The Concept:
My Design is based off the Koolance RP-452X2 Rev 2.0 Dual 5.25" Bay Resevoir Which from my understanding is a dual loop capable reservoir with the ability to run the bays in series.

Going to the drawings I'll walk you through how I want to set it up:
**Note: I marked two tubes as blue representing "cooled" water from the rads, hopefully that helps decipher the direction of water. If not I'll do a picture up with arrows later...

**PX[IN/OUT] refers to the ports of the Koolance Reservoir seen in image #4

**Shown in drawings is Koolance Reservoir Rev 1.2, it seems that the concept will work with Rev 2.0
the ports are just in a horizontal line behind the pumps

LOOP
1) Starting at the reservoir water will exit out of P1[OUT] and enter into the RX360 rad
2) Output of RX360 enters RayStorm CPU block
3) Output of CPU block inputs to P2[IN] (Res)
4) Output from P2[Out] enters RX240 rad
5) Output RX240 rad inputs to GPU block
6) GPU block output enter P1[IN] (Res)

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/1...ooledfront.jpg

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/1...ledcloseup.jpg

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/3...cooledback.jpg

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/9640/pumpports.jpg

I chose to do a single crossover loop (As I am going to call it) because it gives me the ability to drain the entire loop
(Drain will be located down and behind the RX240 rad) in one go. Also, I like the idea of shared water between the CPU
and GPU and the fact that the loops will be working together instead of one loop being under more stress than the other.

Cost Spread Sheet:
This is what I've calculated it'll cost to build this loop, it's seems a little high but I guess that's because
of the compression fittings? I'll be using DazMode.com and NCIX.ca for the tubing:

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/6...mputercost.jpg

Questions:
1) Can I get away with only a single D5 pump? I read through the koolance manual and it is possible
to run such a configuration (series bay) off one pump, but I'm not sure if I will be able to do it...
Reasons for doing so: It's cheaper, and probably quieter.

ANSWER: Yes, from feedback

2) Can the RX240 be put where I have it? I have seen it done multiple times but they modded the
bottom of the case which is what I was planning to do in the first place, but I still wanna be able
to use to drive bays where the RX240 is sitting in? Any other rad placement suggestions

Things that may be brought up:
1) I don't need the RX240 on the bottom its overkill:
-Yes it is but I am planning for the future when I feel it necessary to add a second gpu in sli
and wanna be able to tweak the loop slightly with having everything else ready to go (Hence
the reason for me wanting to just run off one pump if possible...)

**Will continue to update**

Please throw some comments about what you like and what you don't like that's what this is all about!
Just keep it positive... if I screwed up tell me but give me a solution.

Cheers,
Chomie.

Amarthfea March 20, 2012 04:23 AM

I have the RP-452X2 with a single D5 vario right now. Just make sure the the plug is over where the pump would be on the other side, and the short plug is used in the res, and plugs in the 2 extra back ports and your good to go.

as for pump noise, i've had my vario set to 5 its entire life, I can't here it even with my fans set to their lowest settings. if i hold my ear to the front of the res you can hear a slight whirr thats about it :thumb:

Razamatraz March 20, 2012 03:10 PM

This looks pretty damn nice, that said why do you need that much cooling for just one GPU and one CPU? a 240 and a 360 in separate loops seems overkill.

Edit: never mind, I can't read. Still 360 just on CPU is a lot, I doubt you get noticeably better cooling than a 240. If you could run the GPUs to the 360 and the CPU to the 240 without making a mess that would be ideal...long tangled runs though.

AmuseMe March 20, 2012 03:23 PM

Personally, I just put in as much rad as I can. Why the hell not, it isn't going to harm anything. So a total of 120.5 for a CPU and (future) SLI video cards. I think that would be just enough :thumb:

Nice sketch up too btw.

Chomie March 20, 2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razamatraz (Post 612906)
This looks pretty damn nice, that said why do you need that much cooling for just one GPU and one CPU? a 240 and a 360 in separate loops seems overkill.

Edit: never mind, I can't read. Still 360 just on CPU is a lot, I doubt you get noticeably better cooling than a 240. If you could run the GPUs to the 360 and the CPU to the 240 without making a mess that would be ideal...long tangled runs though.

I think you misunderstood what I've done here. I've crossed the loops at the reservoir so the water is actually going to be shared between the CPU and GPU in one big loop! I'm not sure what I'll get for cooling, but it does solve the issue of having to drain the loops separately at maintenance time.

The issue I have right now is if I can run this loop off a single D5 pump or if I'd be better of just investing in dual D5's from the start??

AmuseMe March 20, 2012 05:14 PM

Id take two D5's just for redundancy. For a CPU + 2 GPU blocks, a single will be fine.

Prolab March 20, 2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmuseMe (Post 612950)
Id take two D5's just for redundancy. For a CPU + 2 GPU blocks, a single will be fine.

What he said. I have a vario 655 that running on a CPU + (2) GPU and its working well.

Chomie March 21, 2012 06:18 PM

Could someone take a look at my price sheet and see if it looks alright??

Thanks
Chomie.

Prolab March 26, 2012 02:09 AM

That looks about right.

You could probably PM a few things to save some money.