Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 18, 2012, 04:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default I need advice on my parts selection. Many questions

Ok so I have decided I am going to take the plunge. I am going to switch from h100 to a real water cooling system. I am not entirely happy with the h100 and I would like to water cool my graphics card so I can possibly overclock it and have it not sound like a jet is in my room. I need help picking out my parts though. I'm doing this in an mATX case but I feel like I have a ton of room to work with. I have a good idea of what I need and how it all works, I just am kind of confused most when it comes to the pump/res. Not sure what style pump/res is best for me. Here is the inside of the case but first a few questions.

What kind of pump/res is best for me? I want performance so I can push my parts while remaining cool but quiet. Noise is a partial reason for this WC project.

Is there a favoured radiator out there for me to use with my Gentle Typhoon AP-15's? I would like to not have to purchase more fans if possible. Do I need more then a single 240 rad for my needs (i5 2500k and 6970)? I can add a 140 or 120 or both if need be.

Is there an optimal or better performing size of tubing? Is larger inner diameter preferred? I would like smaller tubing if possible.

Anyways here is my part selection so far and a pic of my case and what kind of room I have to work with. I will order everything I can from DazMode (go canada) but I will order from the states(booooo brown suit delivery guys and brokerage/duty fees) if there is something I want that is not available through Daz. Feel free to tell me something is crap or something is better bang for my buck or better suits my needs. I am welcome to all suggestions.

XSPC Tank Reservoir - Laing D5 / MCP655 w/ Blue LED Light - Acrylic - FrozenCPU.com

XSPC X20 450 Acrylic Pump / Reservoir Combo - Small Profile - FrozenCPU.com

Or maybe something like this would save me LOTS of room? I am easily willing to sacrifice my optical drive as it pretty much NEVER gets used. But which pump is better.

Koolance RP-402X2 Dual 5.25" Reservoir for 1-2 PMP-400 Pumps, Rev.1.2 - FrozenCPU.com

Koolance RP-452X2 Dual 5.25" Reservoir Rev 1.3 (Serial or Parallel) for 1 or 2 Pumps (RP-450 / Laing D5 / MCP655-B / MCP655) - FrozenCPU.com

Maybe a cylinder style pump res?

and here is the room I have to work with. I would like to incorporate a shroud onto the rad and I am willing to use a fat rad if better suits my needs. I think I will be getting the raystorm cpu block and I have the gpu block lined up from a member on this forum for EMT as soon as I can get to the bank on Monday morning.... now fittings is a whole nother world for me.

Last edited by Pabz0r545; March 18, 2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old March 18, 2012, 04:19 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

You could always look at the RP-401X2 Res, its a single bay res for 1 or 2 DDC pumps, that will allow you to still keep your optical drive

The EX240 is a nice Rad and would work well with the Gentle Typhoons, but I am not sure on how the temps will be with both CPU and GPU on the same rad and this will definitely limit how far you will be able to push things, I know in my rig I have the EX240 Rad and a 200mm phobya and I see temps of 50-55c on the CPU (2550K @ 4.5)and GPUs (2 x 6970) while playing BF3, so you may need to add a 120 rad in the loop somewhere, or look at having an external rad setup

As for tubing, I don't think sizing plays that major a factor other then the smaller diameter tubing will allow for tighter bends

Hope this helps
Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Intel i7 3930k | Crucial 4x4Gb | OCZ Vertex 3 MaxIOPS 240GB | WD Velociraptor 1TB | Nvidia 680GTX SLI | Win8 Pro 64 | EK Supremecy | 2 x Alphacool XT45 360 | 2x EK - FC680 | 2x Liang DDC 3.25 | Swiftech Malestorm Res | Case Labs M8 |
Old March 18, 2012, 04:25 PM
Top Prospect

Well, there are many possible solutions in this case. In the right corner there is a space for something like this:

XSPC Reservoir Laing DDC Top Combo XSPC Reservoir Laing DDC Top Combo [XSPC-DDCRES] - $44.99 : DazMode, The Best Canadian PC Watercooling and Modding Store!

+ a Laing Pump

DazMode STORM DDC 3.1 10W Pump DazMode STORM DDC 3.1 10W Pump [DDC 3.1] - $64.99 : DazMode, The Best Canadian PC Watercooling and Modding Store!

The good thing is: The pump is separate, so you donīt have to throw the whole thing out of the window like with a combo, where the pump is IN the tank and has no screws to open it :)

and itīs relative easy to fill the res. with coolant.

Depending on the fan speed you prefer, you can choose a rad which performs good with just 600 RPM like a thin magicool slim. When youīre more in the 1000+ RPM sector, a Black Ice Rad from HWLabs would be a good choice...for example.

A good tubing size is 16/10mm (5/8"). Itīs not too big (for 19/13mm Tubing we say "sausage tubing" in germany ;) ) and it offers tight loops without kinking.

In smaller cases i often prefer 11/8mm tubing

Last edited by bundymania; March 18, 2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old March 18, 2012, 04:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks for the quick reply!

That is a nice res. I think it will look really slick in my case. Similar to the dual bay ones I looked at. Is there any benefit over having single/dual bay? Also I heard those can be a b*tch to prime or bleed or w/e u call it. Are the other style reservoirs easier for a first timer?
Old March 18, 2012, 04:34 PM
Top Prospect

Well, those Koolance Res. have a good build quality and they look nice, but there are 2 things what you should keep in mind: you always have to pull such a res. out of the case front to fill / re-fill it with coolant and the other thing is: when youīre using a version, which can hold 1-2 pumps, the pump noise will "transfer" to the case itself, you know ? I would say: With setting 1-2 a Koolance 5,25" Res. with a Laing D5 Pump is silent. For the XSPC/Laing "standalone" combo you can just put some foam under it..and voila..itīs silent :)
Old March 18, 2012, 04:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hmm after a few google searches and your replies Bundymania I am thinking the Liang D5 is the way to go. I do like the standalones but I am going for the ultra clean build look overall after I get the WC and fully sleeved cables not just these extensions.

Thanks for the info so far guys. Keep the info comin! Once I get the pump res combo picked out I have to start looking into fittings and tubings. I think I have my mind set on the HWlabs Black Ice Radiators. They look sexy as hell and even comes in a nice blue finish which I think will be perfect for me.
Old March 18, 2012, 05:12 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Just noticed the AX PSU, not sure if you're aware but you can get these direct from Corsair now

PSU Accessories - Power Supply Units
Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Intel i7 3930k | Crucial 4x4Gb | OCZ Vertex 3 MaxIOPS 240GB | WD Velociraptor 1TB | Nvidia 680GTX SLI | Win8 Pro 64 | EK Supremecy | 2 x Alphacool XT45 360 | 2x EK - FC680 | 2x Liang DDC 3.25 | Swiftech Malestorm Res | Case Labs M8 |
Old March 18, 2012, 06:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Oh wow that's pretty awesome drkCrix. Thanks for the heads up. I think I will go ahead and eventually order a set of those.

Is there any major reason why I should chose a Liand D5 over the DDC 3.25? I found this reservoir Koolance RP-401X2 Single 5.25" Reservoir for 1-2 PMP-400 Pumps - FrozenCPU.com and I think I would like to go with that but if anyone can suggest a reason why a dual bay and D5 pump is better I am willing to go that route.
Old March 18, 2012, 06:30 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

They both have their own pros and cons

Here is what Daz told me in a email back when I asked the same question

Quote:
Really hard to say. There are two clans and each one will die for their choice. IMHO pumps perform similar in real life.

D5 assumed to be slightly quieter, while DDC has higher pressure and presumed better for multiple blocks.

Daz
Products Support
info@dazmode.com
Old March 19, 2012, 03:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Can anyone chime in on what pump/res style they prefer and why? I'm still really indecisive about this.