Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15, 2012, 05:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default loop set up.

Okay here is my dilemma.

What would be the best way to run my loop/loops in my PC (IYO). My first thought was to run two individual loops. One for the CPU and one for the GPU's, but as I am just test fitting everything in, if might look better and have better cpu cooling, if I run it as one loop

Here is why I came to that conclusion. I have a Cosmos 1000 case slightly modified. with one RX240 with push-pull fan configuration at the bottom(which I was going to use as my GPU's cooling if I did individual loops) the other RX240 is in the top with just Pull configuration(not enough room for push pull) this one was going to be for the CPU. (seeing how my CPU only has pull I can see my temps not being really great). What do you guys/girls think

MY gear
2x RX240
Res, Pump combo is a koolance RP-401x2 with two MCP355
Fans are gentle typhoons 6 of them.
Old March 15, 2012, 05:19 PM
Allstar

Pump,rad(pushpull),CPU,Rad,GPU,Res,Pump
Old March 15, 2012, 05:59 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

that will be too messy.

if its one loop it will be: Pump/Res to rad(only pull) to cpu, to gpus to rad(push pull) back to res/pump.
or 2 separate loops
Old March 15, 2012, 06:15 PM

My System Specs

A single loop is generally the way to go. You'll usually get better flow and better temps.
Old March 15, 2012, 07:55 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydu View Post
that will be too messy.

if its one loop it will be: Pump/Res to rad(only pull) to cpu, to gpus to rad(push pull) back to res/pump.
or 2 separate loops
Doing it this way I gained 4'C.
I tryed both ways And mine was Better.
Old March 15, 2012, 08:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I cant see how your order matters. Your loop can only dissipate so much heat. So no matter what order you do your loop the temp should be the same once the machine is on for a long period of time.
Old March 15, 2012, 08:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the help guys. I will be going single loop.
Old March 16, 2012, 12:28 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydu View Post
I cant see how your order matters. Your loop can only dissipate so much heat. So no matter what order you do your loop the temp should be the same once the machine is on for a long period of time.
True, effectively at steady state, for your proposed config and Chromey's config the water entering the res/pump will be at the same temperature.

The difference between the two setups is the temperature of the water along the loop.

Putting the GPU directly after the CPU feeds warm water into the GPU. Putting a rad in between lets you put cooler water into the GPU and that's how Chromey gets lower temps.
Old March 24, 2012, 08:33 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilocient View Post
True, effectively at steady state, for your proposed config and Chromey's config the water entering the res/pump will be at the same temperature.

The difference between the two setups is the temperature of the water along the loop.

Putting the GPU directly after the CPU feeds warm water into the GPU. Putting a rad in between lets you put cooler water into the GPU and that's how Chromey gets lower temps.
We are talking about a ~1 c difference here at most. Temps in a closed loop is pretty constant all over.
Old May 10, 2012, 07:19 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilocient View Post
the coolant moves too fast to pick up enough heat to be concerned about loop order. the loop heats up over repeated cycles, not from a single pass through water blocks. yes, there are temperature differences, but as coldcase said, there is about 1~2 degree difference AT MOST. i wouldn't be too concerned about loop order and focus on the aesthetics of the loop