Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   filling, bleeding and testing new loop (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/5197-filling-bleeding-testing-new-loop.html)

magictorch March 20, 2008 01:04 PM

filling, bleeding and testing new loop

Hoping to fill and test a new loop assembly-just a straightforward single cpu loop. The trouble is I don't want to turn on the whole system just to get the pump working and to test for leaks. I'm worried that the cpu will overheat as the air is worked out.

Is it a good idea to use another desktop system as a source of power for the pump while leaving the pump in the "other" watercooled system?.

Hope you can help guys, cheers.

Cardboard box with DSL March 20, 2008 01:23 PM

You could grab a spare power supply and jump it.

magictorch March 20, 2008 01:30 PM

yes i had wondered about that-thanks ill try it out. its just as easy though for me to use the spare desktop.

I know its probably a silly question but Im not likely to damage any components in my WC system if I use a power source from outside that WC system to power the pump?

sswilson March 20, 2008 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magictorch (Post 47271)
yes i had wondered about that-thanks ill try it out. its just as easy though for me to use the spare desktop.

I know its probably a silly question but Im not likely to damage any components in my WC system if I use a power source from outside that WC system to power the pump?

Nope, nothing wrong with running from another system. If you got the 655 pump, the power cable on it is about 20 feet long anywise.... :)

3.0charlie March 20, 2008 02:32 PM

Don't forget NOT to run the pump dry. Stop it before there is no more liquid at the inlet.

magictorch March 20, 2008 03:12 PM

ok

Thanks for the help guys! Yes I got the 655 pump with the huge cable.

Just tried filling the loop with distilled water outside the system to see how it "fills" - not very well...haven't tried turning the pump on yet.

Difficult to avoid air pockets with my loop so I'm going to have to be careful with the pump, plus the radiator was like a little volcano and spewed distilled water over the lamb casserole-not too popular now:sad: Going to get it running tomorrow...fingers crossed..maybe should have gone with a microres not the integrated.

3.0charlie March 20, 2008 03:14 PM

Just gently rock your computer sideways and forward-back to remove the air bubbles. It will help the filling process.

magictorch March 20, 2008 03:18 PM

Ok Ill give that a shot---:thumb:

nikitos March 20, 2008 04:32 PM

sorry to highjack the thread, but do people leak test with the waterblocks installed on the components or before the installation?

magictorch March 20, 2008 05:04 PM

Personally ive just run water through the block before attaching the block- just to make sure theres no major leaks. Willl watch closely for a sometime after the installation for any droplets caused by changes in pressure....