Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1, 2008, 09:59 PM
Rookie

ive always installed all parts then plumbd the lines then the old paper clip trick to fill never had a leak and if there was it wouldnt affect the internals with just the p/s and pump running
Old April 10, 2008, 01:07 PM
Top Prospect

Im new here but not to water cooling....Wow some really bad ideas here.
You should never leak test with your water cooling parts on your PC components. This is why you leak test =)
I usually Assemble my water cooling parts together, first fit your Wc'n gear inside the pc case on your pc hardware to get an exact fit for your block, tubing, Rad, & Pump, Res (if you use one).
Then I take out the water cooling setup and test it outside the case, to fill/bleed the setup, depending wat coolant you use it can take up to 1-3 days for all the bubbles to stop forming and you will see clear coolent flowing. Then once everything has been running and your certain theres no leak, shut off setup and slap here in your Case. And enjoy =P

With the proper precautions and planning of your water cooling setup you should not have any leaks. Just take your time and run your setup thoroughly before slapping it in the beast. Its like the machines got a new Heart =P
I have never EVER had to wipe parts =) Hope you wont either!
Hope you can post pics I cant wait to see the performance your getting.
Looking forward to doing a setup soon too

Primu$

Last edited by Primu$; April 10, 2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old April 10, 2008, 01:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

There are a few problems with your method, however it is still a good idea.

1st of all.... try isntalling an external Rad, then taking it out, then putting it all back in.... Those tubes would need some self sealing quick connects to have that happen!

Secondly, lets say you do external leak testing. It's all good to go, no leaks. Then you install it all in the system. But what if while you were moving it around, installing it, some tubing came loose, or a fitting comes loose... then you think it is still fine... fire up the machien.... SIZZLE...... Wouldnt be good. The reason i leak test with my full system installed is because I know there is no leaks, and then when I turn it on I feel safe in knowing that it has been tested in it's proper orientation.

Also, if it does leak while testing, since everything but the powersupply is powered up, you can just wipe off the leaks and dry the parts out, should it leak. Just remember, Never leak test with power going through the system!!

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old April 10, 2008, 01:45 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex View Post
There are a few problems with your method, however it is still a good idea.

1st of all.... try isntalling an external Rad, then taking it out, then putting it all back in.... Those tubes would need some self sealing quick connects to have that happen!
Yes good tips still I guess my method would be for a setup that has most the cooling components inside the case.

Quote:
Secondly, lets say you do external leak testing. It's all good to go, no leaks. Then you install it all in the system. But what if while you were moving it around, installing it, some tubing came loose, or a fitting comes loose... then you think it is still fine... fire up the machien.... SIZZLE...... Wouldnt be good.
Well leak testing also includes making sure everything is tighten sorry didnt specify this for the newbies (no affense to the new comers). If you've leak tested and parts are still moving, like your example, "tubing coming loose", then you have not properly leak tested.

Quote:
The reason i leak test with my full system installed is because I know there is no leaks, and then when I turn it on I feel safe in knowing that it has been tested in it's proper orientation.
This is a good point tho I do not disagree with you on that.

Quote:
Also, if it does leak while testing, since everything but the powersupply is powered up, you can just wipe off the leaks and dry the parts out, should it leak. Just remember, Never leak test with power going through the system!!

Good to know, but to all the newbs setting up there water cooling, its best to AVOID LEAKS. thats just my 2cents

Last edited by Primu$; April 10, 2008 at 02:02 PM.
Old April 10, 2008, 02:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yeah. Ideally, Leak test twice, turn on machine once (hehehe).

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old April 10, 2008, 02:35 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

If properly done, a wc will never develop a leak because of improper installation. I always installed all my blocks, fill the loop and leak check with components installed. I never had a leak. Until one develops by itself, just like it happened to lowfat. But there is nothing you can do against such a case.

Advice? Take your time, double-check every connection, put plenty of towels inside the case and leak check for 24 hours. I still do.