Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 18, 2012, 07:46 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default H100 Temps

I recently replaced my existing air cooler with an H100, which I installed today on my i7 920 (2.66GHz No OC). I've had Prime 95 running for the last hour and my idle temps are 33C, 31C, 35C, 31C and my load temps are 61C, 59C, 60C, 58C. I have the H100 running on the high fan setting, yet these temps seem rather high. Any suggestions or thoughts here?

Also, for what it's worth, I used the pre-applied thermal paste that comes with the H100.
Old February 18, 2012, 08:14 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Use better paste IC diamond, MX4, OCZ freeze, also fans with higher CFM will help, another question is it exhausting hot case air out, or intake cool air from outside of your case ?.Adding push/pull(4 fans) would probably make the biggest difference.
Old February 18, 2012, 08:22 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Adding new thermal paste was going to be my next idea. As for the fans, they're intaking cool air from outside the case. Also, I heard the Corsair fans were pretty decent CFM wise.
Old February 18, 2012, 08:28 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemminr View Post
Adding new thermal paste was going to be my next idea. As for the fans, they're intaking cool air from outside the case. Also, I heard the Corsair fans were pretty decent CFM wise.
Ya a re seat and paste is a good plan.Also they are pretty good, though a bit loud, also not sure if you could find another pair for push/pull. I am a scythe gentle typhoon junkie it is all I will use until I can't find them anymore.
Old February 18, 2012, 08:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemminr View Post
h100 should exhaust like any other fan otherwise your dumping excess heat into your system and will cause temps to be slightly higher.

Corsair fans ARE decent but there are much better out there.
Old February 18, 2012, 08:54 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I actually found the pre applied thermal paste with the H100 pretty decent. Since I switched it to MX4 only seen a 2c drop in temps maybe you just had a bad mount with the pre applied stuff. As for the Corsair stock fans they're obnoxiously loud at full speed(like server fan loud). Also if you have the fans plug into the H100 controller the fans ramp up and down depending on the temp sensor in the H100 unit. I myself have CM turbine masters(plug into mobo) and CM excaliburs(plug into H100) in a push pull config respectively I get 40c folding and 42c prime95 small FFT and blend core temps on my 1090T OC to 4ghz 1.416v with 20c ambient temps. Gentle typhoons are pretty good fans but if they aren't your taste you'll want to look for a pretty high CFM fans with medium air pressure since the H100 rad fins aren't super dense. As for having the H100 as an intake unless have it mounted on top and need the intake for extra VRM cooling on the 2011 socket it's probably better to have it as an exhaust.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old February 19, 2012, 10:02 AM
MVP

My System Specs

MX4 properly applied is an excellent paste, compared to the stock thermal paste and AS5 on my hyper 212+ and also used for my gpu there is at least a 5-8c difference idle to load.

An awesome but noisy fan, Scythe Ultra Kaze, tons of pressure and tons of cfm but very loud, The others I would recomend, Coolermaster Blademaster 76.8cfm version or Xigmatek CLF/XLF/XSF series fans, very good pressure, and overall very decent CFM, neither of which are overall very noisy. I would imagine anything in the 65+cfm range would work well with 1.3mm+ of pressure should work fine. Others such as Silverstone(adjustable one), or even noctua if you are really looking at noise/performance, another choice that maybe hard to find, NANOXIA FX12-2000 they are apprently excellent at all voltages as well.
Old February 19, 2012, 12:55 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I would say it is hard to know how you are doing without knowing your ambient. My machine has an H100 in it, mounted in the top of a Corsair 650D. Fans are set to the third notch and auto spinning, so it is quiet when not loaded and quite loud when they are at 100%. The fans are drawing air from inside the case and exhausting through the rad. The case fans are connected to the MB and running at 100%, front intake and rear exhaust. I have removed on of the 3.5" drive cages, the top one, so the front fan has some room to draw and not have to push though metal.

I have an i7 920 oc'ed to 3.6GHz and at an ambient room temp of 21.5C my idle is 33C 33C 34C 33C, the CPU temp in the case according to the LED on my eVGA MB is 24C. I am running Prime 96, small FFT and the temps are 63C 62C 61C 59C with the LED showing CPU temp as 48C. This is only with about 7 min in right now, but the temps ramped up and have stayed pretty consistent for the last 5 min.

Didn't change over 15 min. I suspect that it might creep up a deg or two over time. Less than a min after I stopped the threads the loud fan noise dropped and the temps are already down to 35C 36C 36C 34C. Room ambient stayed 21.5C for the testing period.

I see you have the Coolermaster 690 II Advanced. Is the rad mounted up top or on the floor of the case? Do you have the drive cages in? Also, what is your room ambient? The temps sound a little high for stock CPU speed but if the room temp is 23C or 24C it may not be that bad.
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop
Old February 19, 2012, 01:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

his might be a dumb question, but did you put the plastic washers in the correct place? (ie, not against the front of the mobo)