Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 14, 2012, 01:00 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Is Water Cooling Cooler?

Could be a misleading title apologies for that!

My question is, Is water cooling cooler as in will it mean less heat put out into the room?

I know it cools the CPU,GPU & Whatever else you want to put on there more efficiently but does that mean less heat in the room or is it still the same it just gets rid of it quicker?

Thanks!
Old February 14, 2012, 01:22 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Mine puts out a lot of heat when I'm folding... But I guess it shouldn't be noticeable while doing everyday tasks.
Old February 14, 2012, 01:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

No it doesn't reduce the amount of heat that goes into your room. Heat has to go somewhere and water is a better transfer medium for heat than air. The liquid absorbs heat from the blocks which passes through the radiator and dissipates into your room via the fans. If anything your room would get warmer faster.
Old February 14, 2012, 01:56 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks for replying. Yes I have watercooling but what I am trying to figure out is whether or not it is actually cooler than Air Cooling when it comes to how much heat it pumps out into the room.

Example, I have one PC running Intel Core i7 930 with a GTX 580 on air and another PC with the exact same specs but everything is water cooled which one pumps more air out into the room?
I suck at this kind of stuff I have a hunch they both put the same amount of heat into the room just the water cooling takes the heat away quicker than the Air so it keeps the components cooler but still puts out as much heat as the air cooled unit.

But then my friend says that if the WC unit CPU is idle at 30C and the Air Cooled CPU is idle at 50C Then the air must be hotter and there for putting more heat into the room but I think that because they are both using the same amount of power (being identical) then the WC unit may be cooler at the CPU side of things but that is just because it is taking the heat away more efficiently than the Air unit and is putting it out into the room all the same. But we're both not sure lol..

Confusing lol.
Old February 14, 2012, 01:58 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Ah Thanks Zer0 This is what I'm thinking so you think there is no benefit to water cooling over Air cooling if your only goal is to keep a cooler room yes?
Old February 14, 2012, 02:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokeR View Post
so you think there is no benefit to water cooling over Air cooling if your only goal is to keep a cooler room yes?
No benefit.

Whether you're using air or liquid cooling your computer is still producing the same amount of heat energy. The purpose of coolers is to transfer it away from the components and into the surroundings. The difference between the two is how fast they do it.
Old February 14, 2012, 02:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

if anthing, since it's holding it cooler, it's probably putting out more heat. I can't say for sure on that point, but I can say with absolute certainty that it's putting out at least the same amount of heat. law of conservation of energy, it can't just disappear it has to go somewhere.
EDIT: damn, should have refreshed.

Last edited by bissa; February 14, 2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old February 14, 2012, 02:36 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well said, the only benefit is your system will like you better, and you may get more headroom out of it for overclocking or whatever. Ambient temperatures also play a huge factor in how efficent the cooler is able to do its job, Aircoolers overall are not that much affected by ambient temepratures as they actually gain a slight amount of volume of transfer as the air is warmed up, liquid coolers though, can really be affected by ambient temperatures as once the liquid gets hot it takes time for it to wick away its heat.

Very much like a person working hard in the winter or in the brutal sun, much easier to stay cool when its cool out :P

Water as a fluid has a huge advantage of being able to soak up heat as its capacity for heat is much much higher then any metal, however, it does not like releasing that heat
Metal such as copper or aluminum are not altogther the great on the storage or capacity of heat energy so they are not able to soak up as much heat before getting warmer, however, once hot they also do not hold onto that heat very well.

So basically they are almost the exact opposite of each other.

There is also another cooling method, evaporative, this can take alot of forms, such as phase change and such. A simple way to get this is let the rad and pump do thier thing, but the liquid is dumped in a tower type chamber, the chamber has a fan or a volume of air blowing through it to disapate the liquids gathered energy much faster then it could on its own. This can actually get the liquid to below ambient temperatures quite easily, unfortunately you lose alot of liquid over time, you have to be carefull obviously that the liquid doesnt get blown onto electrical parts, and to make sure there is a good meshing system so dust and such doesnt get driven into the pump or what have you :P

Either way, long story short, the faster the parts are cooled off, the faster it gets into the surrounding environment(temperature exchange) with water and other liquids they can soak the heat alot longer before getting warm themselvs, which can be self-defeating, ask anyone who has used a limited capacity liquid cooler, it just gets to the point where it cannot shed the heat that it build up over time. Aircoolers may not have near the capacity, but they are almost a steady heat output vs liquid.

One is capacity, the other is transfer of energy, water is much higher capacity hence doesnt get hot very fast, metal transfers the energy very well, but has a very poor thermal capacity, Iron would be the best for capacity but very very poor transfer. This is part of the reason why they like to use different metals in rads, heatpipes and such, trying to get the best of all worlds :P
Old February 14, 2012, 03:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't think that it producing more heat in your room I actually am very sure that it produces less heat then an air cooling system . why I say this is becasue on averae my 285gtx used to produce and high 60"s and my room would get very hot real fast but since I have changed to water it produces hi 30-low 40s and my room is allot cooler.
Old February 14, 2012, 03:42 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Two identical systems, one air cooled and one water cooled, will both output the exact same amount of heat into you're room. A good water cooling system is more effective at dissipating the heat keeping the parts coolers, but that heat is still going into the air of the room.

As for the claim that you think your room is cooler after water cooling, you're system is pulling the same power consumption and producing the same amount of heat as before. my 3 gtx 570s under water will bring my not well vented room up to 26c from 18c in 3 hours of playing BF3 with each GPU at 41c.