Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 14, 2012, 05:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokeR View Post
Ah Thanks Zer0 This is what I'm thinking so you think there is no benefit to water cooling over Air cooling if your only goal is to keep a cooler room yes?
put this way.....both are dumping heat in to room

to remove heat, put your rad out the window

will remove the heat out of room
Old February 15, 2012, 10:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

The only real thing that you can do to reduce the amount of head your computer outputs, without changing to more efficient CPU/GPU, is to get a very high efficiency PSU, 80+ Gold or Platinum rating. By chaning from a standard 80+ rating PSU to my OCZ Gold+ rated model, I reduced a full 150W of excess heat output alone. Basically, the less efficient PSU was taking 150W extra from the wall and turning it into useless heat through its own electronics. Now it runs cooler and quieter.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old February 15, 2012, 01:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the logic of the 2 systems that are identical accept for the air watercooling isn't that correct, because with the fans cooling that water through the radiater actually cools allot more because of the volume . unlike a fan blowing across a couple of heat pipe fins that is all it is doing , but with water cooling all of the water is also cooling so in a way it is more area for cooling the system. the only way I can think of is if you had a car running with out water or low water in the radiator it would moat likely over heat but the more water the more cooler it becomes. now if you just had a huge fan blowing on the same care engine that would do very little if anything and the car would definately over heat, it has to do with the volume and or areea the heat is spreadout to
Old February 15, 2012, 05:38 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

there is no real world difference. if you want to split hairs NO... infact water cooling adds heat to the room. why? its a simple power calculation. a water cooling rig consumes more power than a non water cooling rig by nature that there is more equipment to power. every milli-amp of power consumed untimately gets converted into heat.
Old February 15, 2012, 05:45 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
the logic of the 2 systems that are identical accept for the air watercooling isn't that correct, because with the fans cooling that water through the radiater actually cools allot more because of the volume . unlike a fan blowing across a couple of heat pipe fins that is all it is doing , but with water cooling all of the water is also cooling so in a way it is more area for cooling the system. the only way I can think of is if you had a car running with out water or low water in the radiator it would moat likely over heat but the more water the more cooler it becomes. now if you just had a huge fan blowing on the same care engine that would do very little if anything and the car would definately over heat, it has to do with the volume and or areea the heat is spreadout to
It doesn't matter how it's disappated, the same processor with the same power consumption will generate the same volume of heat.
Old February 15, 2012, 06:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well my room is allot cooler running water cooling compaired to air. I actually tested this last summer and there was allot of difference between the temps in my room I even switched out my 2gb 285 that is on water with a cooler 1 gb gtx285 both same brands the one gb temps where 68 under a mild gaming mode compared to water cooling running the same game which was 49 degrees that is a big difference my cpu temp was ( on air using a 120 black with 2 fans push pull 55 degrees and under water it was 46 degrees the temperature in my room on water was 26 and on are was 32 it only took me about 10 minutes max to switch out the cooler and the video card becasue I used the same backplate for the cpu in my case
Old February 17, 2012, 07:20 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Wow, Thanks for all the replies guys I appreciate everyone's opinions but it appears majority rules that there is no difference if not WC puts out slightly more hot air. My issue is living in Australia with a general temperature of 20-25C my room with a Plasma HDTV, Monitor, Sound System and of course PC can get over 30C easily and being someone that much prefers the cold even having a 25C room is too hot.

I suppose I need to install a ceiling fan or something as the whole reason for all this is the air-con is costing too much in Electricity to keep the room cool. I will be upgrading my PC soon as well to a more efficient CPU & GPU.. Well waiting on the GTX680 hoping it is more efficient than the 580 and I know it will definitely be more efficient than my 480. But when that comes out I will then upgrade to the most efficient CPU I can find. I used to have a OC on my current CPU 4.2Ghz but I have had to put everything to stock to try and control temps! Boo.. GTX 680 couldn't come out any sooner for me lol.