Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Issues with Flow and Pressure, looking for advice (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/50282-issues-flow-pressure-looking-advice.html)

mhledwards January 9, 2012 06:47 PM

Issues with Flow and Pressure, looking for advice

Not sure if I should post here, or trouble shooting, but it said all water cooling here... so here goes!

Setup:
Large Cylinder Res >>> D5 Strong Pump >>> 360 Rad (top mount in Corsair 800D) >>> CPU - EK Supreme CPU >>> GPU#1- EK-FC470GTX >>> GPU#2 - EK470GTX >>> T-Line Drain >>> Res (bottom out / in) with Feser UV Blue dye.

Background:
Broke GPU#2 during install, removed, all ran great. Drained and reinstalled a fresh GPU #2 last night, turned on pump and issues started. All I removed during the installation was the line from the GPU #1 to the drain port

Issue:
So the first immediate issue I noticed when I tried to do the initial push through was the D5 Pump (setting 5) immediate made a noise it never made before. It's spins up properly and then makes a kind of sputtering noise -- if I drop the setting, it goes away.

My immediate through was pressure was back flowing into the pump: I had air trapped! So I rocked... and I rocked, shook, twisted, and shook some more -- no change. Drained, repeated, let run for 24hrs. No change.

Inspected the loop and it looks like air might be being trapped between GPU #1 and GPU #2.

Nothing I can do seems to dislodge it, and there seems to be a lot of air in the rad too.

When I installed the 2 GPU setup originally (before I realized I broke one) I didn't have any issues. So my thoughts are:
  1. Something got in the pump (doesn't seem likely, as it still works somewhat).
  2. Didn't clean the GPU #2 block throughly enough, and the Feser left some gunk in it which is hurting flow.

What I'm wondering is, if anyone has some advice to support my suspicions before I start opening water blocks (not super comfortable with this) and checking / replacing the pump.

The only other thing is when I drain, I do tend to siphon or blow air through a baster to push the water out of the loop (through the t-line between GPU#2 and Res), and I can suck water/air through GPU #2 just fine when I do this, so it can't be a complete block! I do get some flow through, just not enough to push the air out.

matari January 9, 2012 07:15 PM

I do not recommend using dye period. Second, it can be really difficult to bleed multiple GPU blocks pushing he coolant down and through them. That might be art of the issue, But we would like to see a picture.

KaptCrunch January 9, 2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Issue:
So the first immediate issue I noticed when I tried to do the initial push through was the D5 Pump (setting 5) immediate made a noise it never made before. It's spins up properly and then makes a kind of sputtering noise -- if I drop the setting, it goes away.
its called cavitation .....is the formation and then immediate implosion of cavities in a liquid – i.e. small liquid-free zones ("bubbles") – that are the consequence of forces acting upon the liquid. It usually occurs when a liquid is subjected to rapid changes of pressure that cause the formation of cavities where the pressure is relatively low.

try to suck up a .250 ball in .253 ID straw

means inlet too small for impeller speed

mhledwards January 9, 2012 08:47 PM

Pic: http://db.tt/ny3EioRJ Pump to Rad, and GPU 2 to res run behind the motherboard plate.

@ matari - I know a lot of people recommend against dyes, being naive and a first time build, I figured I'd try it and take my lumps. I had no issue the first time I did it, but looking back at old pictures I did have my Pump/res configured differently (you'll probably chastise me for the 90 degree fittings).

@ kaptcrunch - Your saying this would be the source of the noise? Would pushing against great resistance aggravate this? As said, this configuration was used with a single GPU without any issues.

Thanks!

KaptCrunch January 9, 2012 09:12 PM

EK470GTX block better open up and inspect

imho would run them parrelle gpu's only rest serial

matari January 9, 2012 09:41 PM

90 degree fittings are just fine :) They do make bleeding a tad more difficult if you us them around the pump, but I think you'll be ok.