Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 18, 2011, 05:14 PM
Rookie

Default Hoping you could help on some water cooling

I am hoping to build a new system with the latest LGA 2011 processors and two GTX 570's to start with, and 16gb of ram in 8gb dimms and i want to water cool the entire system, uncluding the motherboard.

this would mean a block for the CPU, two for graphics card, One From RAM modules, and then for the chipset and power regualtors. At first i was thinking of running one loops with the rad's at different points, then i thought of splitting it into too loops but using one powerfull pump, but now i am thinking two pumps, but i will only have limited space in the case.

What sort of basic outline would you suggest for such a setup? And what size rads do you think would be ideal?
Old December 18, 2011, 07:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

no gain for the board or ram.

gpu and cpu yes.

waste of money for the board and ram
Old December 18, 2011, 08:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post

gpu and cpu yes.

exactly

waste of $$

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old December 18, 2011, 08:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you don't plan on upgrading your ram in the future, go for 4GB DIMMs. You'd be able to get 32GB of ram in 4GB DIMMs for around the price of 16GB of 8GB DIMMs.
Old December 19, 2011, 07:15 AM
Top Prospect

Currently, 16 GB ram is standard for X79 chipset. With the current price of ram, there is little reason not purchase 16 GB of ram.

As far as H2O goes, there is little need to liquid cool RAM modules. The X79 chipset almost requires a fan on it at all times. Liquid cooling specific parts of the board will not change that fact. Your better off using the money for chipset blocks on upgrading your motherboard to one that has decent heatsinks.
Old December 19, 2011, 11:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:

gpu and cpu yes.

That is incorrect sir.

Listen you guys that denounce ram cooling. Having done this in the past for overclocking high frequency ram I can tell you for certain that I achieved higher more stable OC's water cooling the ram. Currently the 1600MHz ram I'm using is running at 32C with a fan cooler on full. With the fan turned off they get pretty hot as I bought the low profile stuff to make sure i can always sell this stuff down the road. If I could afford to WC my ram I would in a heartbeat.

If you plan on running high frequency ram and getting the highest over all OC water cooling the ram is FULLY worth the effort. Keep in mind you aren't getting much airflow when you don't use a HSF so the ram temps get hot and stagnant.

Just sayin...
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old December 19, 2011, 12:19 PM
Top Prospect

Please give me the data that points toward liquid cooling RAM being beneficial typical enthusiast application. Besides who wants to risk damaging their module by removing the heat spreader. Second, the amount of restriction added by full coverage blocks almost requires a separate loop.

there are only a few reasons to liquid cool your ram. One, lower your case ambient, and for looks.

Last edited by matari; December 19, 2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old December 19, 2011, 12:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
That is incorrect sir.

Listen you guys that denounce ram cooling. Having done this in the past for overclocking high frequency ram I can tell you for certain that I achieved higher more stable OC's water cooling the ram. Currently the 1600MHz ram I'm using is running at 32C with a fan cooler on full. With the fan turned off they get pretty hot as I bought the low profile stuff to make sure i can always sell this stuff down the road. If I could afford to WC my ram I would in a heartbeat.

If you plan on running high frequency ram and getting the highest over all OC water cooling the ram is FULLY worth the effort. Keep in mind you aren't getting much airflow when you don't use a HSF so the ram temps get hot and stagnant.

Just sayin...
Cons of cooling ram outweigh pros
Old December 20, 2011, 01:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by matari View Post
Please give me the data that points toward liquid cooling RAM being beneficial typical enthusiast application. Besides who wants to risk damaging their module by removing the heat spreader. Second, the amount of restriction added by full coverage blocks almost requires a separate loop.

there are only a few reasons to liquid cool your ram. One, lower your case ambient, and for looks.
Ram is cheap. Take your time. It's not a race.

I can't GIVE you any real data other than this that I found after some searching. I didn't record or care to record much information mainly beacuse of people like you who claim it does nothing other than look good etc. Water cooling is a hobby for me and rather than having huge debates with people who have NEVER EVEN TRIED IT I just kept to myself and played. Generally speaking if someone says it doesn't do anything significant I'll normally just find out for myself. Why not? That's why they call it a hobby. Having brought this topic up in the past it resulted in a bunch of people freaking out and bias'd opinions based on very limited reviews on the net (at least the ones I read)

When I ran it I did a dual loop to start and then tried a single loop manifold setup after. I ran both setups for over a year combined and about 6 months with no water cooling on the ram. A single 120mm rad was all I needed for the ram with a small xspc all-in-one pump. Dual loop worked the best and most half decent cases these days support a 360 and 120 rad internally.

Dual loop worked better. Higher over all OC and more stable ram compared to NOT water cooling it at the same frequencies. In fact in most cases trying to run the same OC's without water cooling the ram resulted in BSOD's until I dropped the ram frequencies which in turn allowed me to drop the voltages and run the ram cooler. Under water it wasn't an issue with the higher frequencies especially after a session of gaming.

Easiest and fastest way to test this theory I discovered was overclocking strictly with FSB as it's the hardest way to OC as you have to adjust for your memory all the way through. It's certainly more challenging than just upping the multi.

Anyway... I don't wanna steal the OP's thunder here suffice to say that I'll always support water cooling ram based on my own experiences and seeing real results 1st hand for an extended period of time.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.

Last edited by clshades; December 20, 2011 at 02:30 AM.
Old December 20, 2011, 03:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Cons of cooling ram outweigh pros
This, and unless overclocking changed from SB to SB-E you won't even need to overclock your ram.