Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 8, 2012, 07:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardig88 View Post
What if you use a fishtank as a reservoir? It should have enough heat capacity to cool your system .
or use Veg Oil in tank
Old January 8, 2012, 10:03 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Fish tanks don't work, tried it. with a submersible pump. It just gets hotter and hotter. A radiator is a heat exchanger. Bleeds the heat out into the ambient air. There is nothing to take the heat away in a tank. I imagine a large enough tank would work, but it was surprising how fast the water heated up.
Old December 11, 2012, 12:54 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I know I'm reviving a dead thread but I never thanked everyone for the input.
THANK-YOU VERY MUCH EVERYONE!

Squeetard - THANK-YOU SQUEETARD For the inspiration. I am building a 'new' computer and have decided to go with Water cooling. I will be using a cheap, fanless AC condenser from my parts car. FREE-99! Thanks for the heads up about the Fishtank. I would have guessed a massive Res would work ok. I also imagine a large enough one would work, but that is good to know.

The link is for my build log.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...d-g-stack.html
Old December 25, 2012, 02:18 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I know there is an HTPC that is sold with a case that acts as a heat-sink, mind you it only comes with an i3. Check the link.

Fanless HTPC

Now if you are interested in building a true water-cooling system that is fan-less, you still get noise from HDD's, BR-Drives, Wine from PSU and so forth. But on the cheep you could find a bunch of old freezers or air conditioners and chop out the condensers/evap. Again watch out for mixed metals. There are a few chemistry experiments that you can do to test for different metals, check out YouTube... Also when using coils form refrigeration units make sure you clean it out good, because they have a small amount of oil in them that lubricates the compressor.

EDIT: Whoops old thread My Bad, Anyways hope you got what you needed from the thread here on Hardware Canucks.
Old December 25, 2012, 05:39 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Or you could just order a Gigant radiator that is large enough to do passive cooling.
Aqua Computer Webshop - airplex GIGANT 1680, Aluminium-Lamellen 33301
Old December 25, 2012, 05:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

notice cooling liquid has no direct contact to aluminum (pipes are made of copper) $500
Old January 1, 2013, 10:45 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks guys. I appreciate the replies after the thread was 'dead'.
I am building an X79 System and will be using a MASSIVE fan-less rad.
Yup, this info will finally be put to use for more than intellectual interest.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...d-g-stack.html
^Build Thread. I have put the water cooling on hold until I learn more. I hope use water cooling soon, but I figure since I am spending a large amount of money (to me) on this build I should REALLY learn more about water cooling first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
mattydies caution some of then trans rads, condensors/evap, are made out of alu so that be a mix metal loop
What is the concern of a mix metal loop? Something to do with electrolysis? (this is the main concern why I am learning more before buying the H2O parts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatHornz View Post
I know there is an HTPC that is sold with a case that acts as a heat-sink, mind you it only comes with an i3. Check the link.

Fanless HTPC

Now if you are interested in building a true water-cooling system that is fan-less, you still get noise from HDD's, BR-Drives, Wine from PSU and so forth. But on the cheep you could find a bunch of old freezers or air conditioners and chop out the condensers/evap. Again watch out for mixed metals. There are a few chemistry experiments that you can do to test for different metals, check out YouTube... Also when using coils form refrigeration units make sure you clean it out good, because they have a small amount of oil in them that lubricates the compressor.

EDIT: Whoops old thread My Bad, Anyways hope you got what you needed from the thread here on Hardware Canucks.
Thanks for the link. I will read that article tomorrow as I should be in bed soon.
Again what is the reason for the concern of mixed metals?
What is the concern is several drops of PAG oil (which AC systems usually use now aways) gets in with the coolant or water? I am finally building this so your timing was actually SUPERB

Yes I am well aware of the other noises. This is why I bought noctua 120 fans and a fan controller. And why my bathroom fan cost me $200 - inline, near silent. I must be getting older to enjoy quiet so much! I was running 2 Raptor 74's which seemed noisier than 4 Raptor 160's (which I used recently). The 160's were made for Dell and HP only, so perhaps they were tuned to be a touch quieter, or simply newer and improved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Or you could just order a Gigant radiator that is large enough to do passive cooling.
Aqua Computer Webshop - airplex GIGANT 1680, Aluminium-Lamellen 33301
HOLY
Old January 3, 2013, 03:24 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

GoatHornz ~ I wanted to add to my last post / clarify as I do not want to seem dismissive or condescending. I appreciate your reply. I do realize that my using a fanless rad (with a pump) instead of an air CPU cooler will likely have no discernible difference in noise EVEN IF I TRIED TO NOTICE IT.

Before I had a cooler with a single quiet 120mm Noctua fan. BEST CASE (for noise) I am swapping out the Fan for a coolant pump. In all likelyhood the computer will be a bit louder when I am done. I suspect I will end up adding more noctua fans before my build is 100% finished. Ironic since I am setting out to build a fanless RAD. Adding extra fans would be to better control the paths of air flow (IE more airflow around the VRM's on the Mobo and perhaps some extra air flow under the board for good measure. I enjoyed ocing my E8400 to 4.5GHz on air last build). The fact that The E8400 was 65 and my 3820 (en route) is 130W made me decide that since I want to OC I should lean towards water cooling this time.

I purchased an Antec TPQ 1200W PSU ($130 on sale). NCIX sent me the OC edition (adjustable 12V rails and fan - 1 dial for each). The PSU is 80+Silver, but is very high power and only has a single 80mm fan. I hear in reviews the sound is OK at modest power output but is very noisy at high speed. Perhaps I will have to add a some short duct work and a 120MM fan (front / rear / both?) Who knows where this build will end

Last edited by mattydies; January 3, 2013 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Correcting my Grammar