Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 11, 2011, 12:44 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I would suggest either a silver kill coil, or, dazmode protector additive and using pure distilled water. If you are mixing aluminum and copper I'd say you would need the dazmode protector to double punch corrosion and little critters growing in your rig.

DazMode Protector Dazmode Protector [DAZMODE PROTECTOR] - $6.99 : DazMode, The Best Canadian PC Watercooling and Modding Store!

Also, glycol has roughly half the specific heat capacity of water. H=mc(Tf-Ti) where c is specific heat so you can clearly see the benefit to your loop to maximize c. Higher H value, which you can see is affected by many parameters, means lower fan and/or pump noise, or just higher performance. The H in this case is the heat transferred to the water from the water block, or from the water to the radiator. Hopefully |Hrad| > |Hblocks| or your system boils

Glycol is useful when something goes subzero, like you live in northern canada and your radiator is outside your igloo (not a bad idea as efficiency increases with the temperature differential in a heat engine and/or refrigerator). If you're not worried about your rig freezing then water should be used to increase performance.
Old December 12, 2011, 11:39 AM
Top Prospect

Without a picture, it is difficult tell what the issue is. With 30% EG I find it hard to believe you have algae growth. I would recommend silver and or nuke + distilled and limit the light show.
Old December 12, 2011, 11:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If he is running an EG mix is it not also possible that its stained (tubing) from the other crap they put in that mix?

Otherwise just run Pure Water, Silver kill coil and that should be fine.
Algae cannot grow in EG.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 12, 2011, 01:43 PM
Top Prospect

If I squeeze the tube, the crap comes off the tube and flows with the loop. I think it is plasticizer then, I'll take a picture later today.

I'll be redoing the whole loop once my parts arrive. I'll probably grab a kill coil too. Thanks for the tips!