Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 10, 2011, 10:07 PM
Top Prospect

Yup, i just double checked, the res is completely clean, it's only the tubes that are cloudy with a layer this stuff. So I assume it's a tubing or coolant problem then? Aw man, this means I have to completely redo the loop.
Old December 10, 2011, 10:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It sounds like the coolant to me. Honestly I'd just run distilled water with a silver coil or 4 silver barbs. I use the silver barbs and after 9 months there wasn't anything growing in there :P

The only reason I would use coolant like yours is if you are mixing metals.
Old December 10, 2011, 10:16 PM
Top Prospect

So silver barbs are a equivalent substitute to kill coils? I learned something new! Off to ncix i go!
Old December 10, 2011, 10:38 PM

My System Specs

Sounds like tubing to me still. Are you by chance using the Rasa kit?
Old December 10, 2011, 10:40 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

IMHO...nothing beats a kill coil. With "silver" barbs you have to watch out as most are nothing by silver color. Stick a kill coil in your res...use distilled water...and replace the tubes with new...AND flush your parts out VERY..VERY well to make sure no gunk is in there....then in say 2mths check again.

YMMV

plus why not use daz's shop? IMHO daz > ncix when it comes to wc gear here in canuckistan. :>

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 10, 2011, 10:43 PM
Top Prospect

To lowfat: Nope I'm using the tubes I found at home depot. I read online about them, people said they were fine for PC watercooling if I can get past the fact that they kink easily.

To AkG: I found that daz has more selection and better prices, but I live a couple mins from an NCIX store so it's more convenient plus I save on shipping.
Old December 11, 2011, 12:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

algae will NOT grow in glycol so it can't be algae.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old December 11, 2011, 01:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
IMHO...nothing beats a kill coil. With "silver" barbs you have to watch out as most are nothing by silver color. Stick a kill coil in your res...use distilled water...and replace the tubes with new...AND flush your parts out VERY..VERY well to make sure no gunk is in there....then in say 2mths check again.

YMMV

plus why not use daz's shop? IMHO daz > ncix when it comes to wc gear here in canuckistan. :>
The only ones I know of re the Bitspower "True silver" ones, which I've used for a year and a half. Not sure about other ones, are there knock offs? Silver coil is highly recommended though.
Old December 11, 2011, 02:43 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

im with lowfat on this one, if the res is clear (and i assume the coolant should be as well) then its plasticizer. Plasticizer can appear greenish as in this pic taken from xtremesystems

Old December 11, 2011, 02:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the pipes in that picture looks like copper oxidization. I guess that could be what's happening with OP if his pipes looks like that.