Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 10, 2011, 02:22 PM
Rookie

Default Fan Question (Might be stupid!)

Hey everyone!
I have an Antec Kukler 920 installed on my i5 chip.
I overclocked to 4.8 mhz, ran a 24 hour prime95 (which went smooth).
However, the stock antec fans on maximum were LOUD!
So, at the advice of many people here, I switched out to some new gentle typhoon AP15 fans... and here is the question...
Is it possible to change the rmp on the gentle typhoons? or do they always run at ~1850rpm?
Not that I am complaining, even at the max 1850rpm, they are very quiet, I am just curious.

Thanks guys!
Old December 10, 2011, 03:00 PM
Top Prospect

Your motherboard that you plugged your fan into should be able to control the speed of the fans, it just depends if your cpu is cool enough for the mobo to slow down the fans.

If you want to control them manually, but a fan controller.
Old December 10, 2011, 06:02 PM
Rookie

On the Antec 920, the 2 fans plug into the head unit, which has a different wire going to the CPU fan plug on the motherboard. The fans are then controlled by the software. However, the software does not seem to be able to change the rpm of the two gentle typhoon fans I just installed. They run at 1850 regardless of the setting (extreme, silent, etc).
I have tried to use the Asus Suite Fan Xpert, but again, it only seems to run at 1850 regardless of the setting.
Would I need to bypass the head unit and plug the fans directly into the motherboard? Is the Antec software unable to control other brands of fans?
I am a bit confused
Old December 10, 2011, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Scythe GT's can't be PWM controlled, if your motherboard doesn't have an option in BIOS or the software for voltage control then you need a separate fan controller.
Old December 10, 2011, 09:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

pleasc

need a 4 wire fan to match MB pwm fan header and not excede fan header max watt rating

if your fans are 3 wire need thirdparty fan controlier
Old December 11, 2011, 06:37 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

If the Antec unit functions similar to the Corsair Units, any fans plugged into the pump housing will automatically be adjusted by the pump depending on the CPU temp. The wires that come from the housing to the motherboard, are they a single wire? If they are a single wire from the pump it would only be reporting the fan RPM. Any updates to the antec software?