Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 6, 2011, 06:39 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default 360 radiator And Antec 300

Gonna be getting a triple rad setup.
My system specs are in the thing located to the right.

EK-KIT H3O - Supreme HF 360 EN
EK-KIT H3O - Supreme HF 360 EN - Kits - Kits & Watercooling Cases
+
EK-VGA Supreme HF - EN(universal) / ram sinks
EK-VGA Supreme HF - EN (Nickel) - VGA Supreme HF - Universal VGA waterblocks - VGA Blocks - Blocks

The only option I could think of is to have the rad mounted on top of the case with the fans on the inside mounted to the ceiling pushing air up.

This is the layout I was thinking of:

(If I do go with this layout I would be cutting out the top using a template)

I am new to water cooling but have been building computers for years now so I'm not to worried about putting it together.

I just need some tips on placement of things. The case is mid sized so there isn't tons of room but I think this layout would work.

Do you guys see any potential problems with my layout plan, especially the radiator?

Also if this layout will work, do you have any tips for certain hardware to make things go smoother?
Old December 6, 2011, 10:25 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Now, I'm not a TOTAL expert on water cooling. But, that doesn't seem like a smart idea. Or that it will work.
I doubt you'll be able to mount it anyways.. without modding.
If the fans are blowing the air at the TOP of the case. I think the hot air would have no place to go and would remain in your case, as it doesn't have a escape for the other two 120mm. The Antec will not have enough to yank all that hot air quick enough.

I do have an enclosed water cooler.. And, it does blow a lot of warm air out of my case. And, my cpu remains around 20C

Your BEST best would be to find a case that accommodates that RAD. OR, find a way to mount it outside of the case.
Old December 6, 2011, 10:37 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgrtz View Post
Now, I'm not a TOTAL expert on water cooling. But, that doesn't seem like a smart idea. Or that it will work.
I doubt you'll be able to mount it anyways.. without modding.
If the fans are blowing the air at the TOP of the case. I think the hot air would have no place to go and would remain in your case, as it doesn't have a escape for the other two 120mm. The Antec will not have enough to yank all that hot air quick enough.

I do have an enclosed water cooler.. And, it does blow a lot of warm air out of my case. And, my cpu remains around 20C

Your BEST best would be to find a case that accommodates that RAD. OR, find a way to mount it outside of the case.
Looks like he has intentions on cutting out the top of the case to accommodate the rad. Even at that, it will will be very tight. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but it might be wiser to invest in slightly larger case.

Otherwise, the logic seems to be fine. If you do decide to go through with it, make sure to post a build log! Would love to see what can be done. I had a 300 before I upgraded to my 800D as I wasn't interested in cramming that much gear into a small case.
Old December 7, 2011, 10:48 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

haha yeah, as stated below the pic "(If I do go with this layout I would be cutting out the top using a template)"

I kind of assumed half the fun of water cooling was modding the case to fit your setup :P
Really though, a high end $300 case just isn't in the budget...

I'm trying to think of ways I can get the radiator in the case.
One idea I had was chopping and moving the mobo tray lower to only support mATX, that would give me the clearance to fit the radiator and fans internally :D which is what I really want.

I'll be sure to make a log either way haha
Old December 8, 2011, 09:08 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

The HAF-X fits a triple rad on the top. It's not TOO pricey at around 200.
Old December 9, 2011, 03:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I think the entire line of HAF cases are hideous.
Old December 9, 2011, 04:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

it will fit with some moding
gonna be extremely tight on the inside

i installed a rad on top on an antec 900 n its just right

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old December 9, 2011, 05:04 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I have a top mounted 360 and front mounted 240 rad crammed into basically a normal old midtower case. both radiators are basically set up how you will have yours, with the radiator mounted to the exterior and fans internally. it's nice to have it all in such a small package but assembly was a bit of a pain. here's a link to my worklog if you're interested. to bleed the top radiator I left enough tube so i could pull it out and stand it kinda beside the case to make it easier.

Case downsizing