Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 11, 2011, 06:13 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Hi Larry,

I appreciate you taking the time to come check out my/our(a few others are getting involved) little project. I've almost got what I think is a finished part list/plan mapped out, but I'm right in the middle of exams so I haven't much time finalize. I'm hoping next week I can post my plan and get a few helpful forum members to review it and give me confidence in my purchase.

One thing I'm sitting on the fence about is what fluid I'll use. I'm currently leaning heavily toward pure distilled water with a silver kill coil in the res, but I'll have to rig up a way to not have it rattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVL8hacker View Post
The QDC's that you see serve two purposes, one for the filter and the other is so I can remove the 540mm RAD. What you don't see is the other QDC's coming out of the other side of the RAD into the CPU block
I was looking at doing exactly this but I can't find any QDKs in black :( I'm going for white tubing/black components and my white rv02. I might suck it up as they will be fairly hidden from view from the case window.
Old December 11, 2011, 06:37 PM
Rookie

Yeah...They dont make the koolance QDC's in black..I wish they did...I would have been all over them.I had a buddy who sent his QDC's off and had them anodized a gloss black. They looked good until he chipped it a bit.

I have only used and will only use Distilled water with a silver kill coil. I have the coil in the tube just infront of the QDC before it hits the filter. Good place for it and it will never move due to the way the QDC is made. If I want any color I buy the colored tube. Its real hard to get stuff gunked up when all your running is pure water :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibz View Post
Hi Larry,

I appreciate you taking the time to come check out my/our(a few others are getting involved) little project. I've almost got what I think is a finished part list/plan mapped out, but I'm right in the middle of exams so I haven't much time finalize. I'm hoping next week I can post my plan and get a few helpful forum members to review it and give me confidence in my purchase.

One thing I'm sitting on the fence about is what fluid I'll use. I'm currently leaning heavily toward pure distilled water with a silver kill coil in the res, but I'll have to rig up a way to not have it rattle.

I was looking at doing exactly this but I can't find any QDKs in black :( I'm going for white tubing/black components and my white rv02. I might suck it up as they will be fairly hidden from view from the case window.
Old December 12, 2011, 08:59 AM
Rookie

Hey Larry, welcome to the boards and thanks for the help and talking about your experiences and thoughts from your build.
Old December 12, 2011, 09:45 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmassive View Post
Hey Larry, welcome to the boards and thanks for the help and talking about your experiences and thoughts from your build.
Thank you!
Old December 12, 2011, 12:35 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quick question, will I notice any difference between nickel plated blocks and copper?

I think nickel would look nicer and gtx580 copper blocks are out of stock at my stores.
Old December 12, 2011, 04:35 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibz View Post
Quick question, will I notice any difference between nickel plated blocks and copper?

I think nickel would look nicer and gtx580 copper blocks are out of stock at my stores.
I dont think you will. The blocks covered in nickel are to help with the copper changing color not with temps. You should be just fine
Old December 12, 2011, 05:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There shouldn't be any real difference, just aesthetics. I believe the EK issues with nickel plating are long resolved too.
Old December 15, 2011, 07:14 PM
Rookie

Jibz you don't mind me asking a few questions in here as well do you? If you do, I'll edit this post and make my own thread.

Larry (or anyone else for that matter) just a quick question, curious as to what your thoughts are on the following. I plan on putting an RX360 in my FT02, but what would you think about the RX480? As much as I'd like to put a 560 in there like your build, there's always the problem of me grabbing a fourth HDD which would make things a little cramped (unless I pop it in the 5.25 bay). I've also got a reference 6950 which I don't plan on including in the loop so I may run into the problem where the GPU card length may be too long for both the rad & fans.

Thanks!
Old December 15, 2011, 08:16 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I don't mind any questions regarding w/cing fortress and raven cases in here.

In the coming weeks I'll be starting a build log with my progress working on my raven.
Old December 15, 2011, 08:59 PM
Rookie

Thanks, I hope it goes well for you!